You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

will Apple or any other manufacturer please make a lightning (female) to usb c data adaptor?

This has probably been asked 10000000000 times, but I’m desperate! Is there such an adaptor for connecting a lightning device to a USB C? It would have to be female lightning as I bought a Korg midi adaptor for my old iPad. But now I have a new iPad with USB C and I can’t plug it into my new iPad, which I got specifically for composing on but now find the new iPad useless as I cannot connect a musical keyboard / Synthesizer to it!

Any help at all pleeeeeeaaaasssssseeeee!

Many Thanks from Ireland’s tallest man

Shaun Aisbitt <><

iPad Pro, iPadOS 16

Posted on Mar 22, 2023 1:43 PM

5 replies

Mar 22, 2023 3:52 PM in response to TallestManInIreland

You cannot directly connect Lightning to USB-C. Available plug-adapters only support charging - not data.

To connect an iPad to a USB device, you will require a Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter:

• Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/MK0W2ZM/A

The required USB hardware components can be added through connection of the Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter. This adapter contains an Interface converter, USB 3.0 Controller and USB Root Hub - presenting a USB 3.0 Type-A connection to which you may connect many (but not all) categories of USB devices. USB Device support by Lightning equipped iPad models are generally limited to Mass Storage devices, basic HID devices (such as wired Keyboard and basic Mouse), USB hubs and some audio devices. 

Mar 22, 2023 5:37 PM in response to LotusPilot

Thank You Lotus Pilot,

It was kind of you to respond to my query, but I'm afraid you got it the wrong way around. My New iPad is the device that has the USB C, the device I wish to plug in (with some sort of adaptor) should take in the Lightning end and output to USB C. The device I have is a Korg Plugkey which worked fine with the old standard Lightning, but I have a new iPad which doesn't have any Lightning input, just a USB C which makes plugging it in impossible unless there is some sort of female lightning adaptor that can plug into the USB C on my new iPad.

Again Many Thanks for your Reply

Rev. Shaun Aisbitt

Mar 22, 2023 5:46 PM in response to TallestManInIreland

Thanks for clarification - as the answer is even easier…

You simply cannot connect a Lightning accessory to an iPad with USB-C port. While you can add a USB port to a Lightning host via an Apple proprietary adapter (that adds a USB Controller and Root Hub), you cannot connect a Lightning device to a USB host.

Simple plug adapters won’t work - as the interfaces are not compatible/interworkable.

will Apple or any other manufacturer please make a lightning (female) to usb c data adaptor?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.