You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

LG Ultrafine 5K compability issues

Hi,

I recently got my hands on a used LG Ultrafine 27" 5K Display (27MD5KA).

It does show an image when connected to my 2019 Intel-based MBP, but it doesn't on my 2021 M1 Pro MBP. It charges both devices.

Detailed issue description

M1 Pro MBP:

• MacBook charges
  • MacBook shows pop-up for me to allow the Thunderbolt connection
  • Pop-up disappears after 1-2 seconds and immediately comes back; this repeats until I click "allow"
  • When pressing allow, the monitor still doesn't get recognised, charging continues tho

Intel MBP:

• MacBook charges
  • Display shows an image
  • Display randomly goes black every 10 seconds or so and turns on again (charging, camera, speakers etc. don't get interrupted)

Here is a video showing the issues: https://youtu.be/9PFdDxORJuE

I think this might be a firmware issue. Since this is a 5 year old device, there might have been a firmware update to ensure M1 support. I've tried updating using the LG Screen Manager app, it does say the firmware currently installed (3.04,1.13,5237,3.04,0.1e) is the newest version. I have seen screenshots of people having updated the same display to versions 3.11 and above and my monitor had 3.06 installed when I got it.

Does anyone have a link or ideally the .zip-file to a newer update?

What I've tried to resolve this

• Different Thunderbolt cables: Original Apple TB3 cable, Caldigit TB3 cable -> same results
  • Different MacBooks (Intel & M1) -> same results
  • Calling LG: They apparently never heard of this issue, don't have access to firmware updates

I'm really frustrated by this, any help is appreciated!

MacBook Pro (2021)

Posted on Mar 23, 2023 10:32 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2023 6:44 PM

Thanks for the response!

Tried all of the above - no luck, sadly.

Similar questions

2 replies

Mar 24, 2023 3:50 PM in response to josiahla_

Hi josiahla_,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. You've tried some great isolation steps so far. Next, we'd recommend the guidance from If your external display is dark or low resolution - Apple Support which is directly related to the issue you've mentioned. For example, it sounds like you may not have tried the troubleshooting in this section.

"Detect your display

If your Mac can't detect your external display, your external display will be dark. Use one or more of these steps to try again to detect your display.

• Disconnect the display from your Mac, then reconnect it. It might help to turn off the display first.
  • Put your Mac to sleep, then wake it. On Mac laptop computers, you can close the lid for a few seconds, then open the lid again.
  • Choose Apple menu  > System Settings (or System Preferences), then click Displays. Press and hold the Option key to show the Detect Displays button, then click the button.
  • Restart your Mac. If you can't restart your Mac, press and hold its power button for about 10 seconds to turn it off. Then press and release the power button to turn it back on."

As far as a firmware update, LG may be in the best position to answer questions about updating the monitor. We did find the following page to locate software and drivers for LG products: Software, Firmware & Driver Downloads | LG USA Support. There is also a contact us link at the bottom of that page.

Take care.

LG Ultrafine 5K compability issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.