You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Purchase new iMac, should I wait?

I'm using a 2011 iMac running OSX 10.11.6. I'm becoming more and more aware that it's time to upgrade. A new iMac seems to be the best bet for me, but should I wait until they are available with M2 chips as are now available in other devices? No one I can contact at Apple seems to know when that will be, I don't want buy one only to end up wishing I'd waited a few more weeks .

iMac 21.5″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Mar 23, 2023 1:03 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2023 4:00 PM

Neil Kaplan1 wrote:

Yes, I actually am aware of all that, hoping someone knows more than most of us do . . .It's a cost thing... the appropriate mini plus monitor plus replacing most of my software and interfaced hardware is going to be astronomical! Thanks for your response.

To get a good handle on what software you'l have to upgrade, replace or find an alternative download and run the free app GO64. It will show you what apps are 64 bit, which are 32 bit and which have some 32 bit components that may limit that apps effectiveness.

If you wait a while you can start replacing your most important apps (if they will work with Catalina).

Just some food for thought: Here are the speeds of the M1 Mac Mini vs what you have now:

At least 2 ½ times faster that what you have.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 23, 2023 4:00 PM in response to Neil Kaplan1

Neil Kaplan1 wrote:

Yes, I actually am aware of all that, hoping someone knows more than most of us do . . .It's a cost thing... the appropriate mini plus monitor plus replacing most of my software and interfaced hardware is going to be astronomical! Thanks for your response.

To get a good handle on what software you'l have to upgrade, replace or find an alternative download and run the free app GO64. It will show you what apps are 64 bit, which are 32 bit and which have some 32 bit components that may limit that apps effectiveness.

If you wait a while you can start replacing your most important apps (if they will work with Catalina).

Just some food for thought: Here are the speeds of the M1 Mac Mini vs what you have now:

At least 2 ½ times faster that what you have.

Mar 23, 2023 1:11 PM in response to Neil Kaplan1

No one is going to be able to tell you when new M2 based iMacs will become available, or if they will… Not until Apple actually announces it.

If you need something right now, you may just want to consider an M2 Mac Mini.

There’s always going to be something newer, better, and faster right around the corner. You need to evaluate your needs and wants and compare that against what’s available and consider how long you can reasonably wait before making a commitment.

Purchase new iMac, should I wait?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.