You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Playing playlists on my iPhone

I recently tried using my iPhone to listen to playlists I've put together myself while in my car. Except every time I start a playlist (shuffling), whenever I get out of the car it seems to remember my place, but as soon as I start it again, the music restarts automatically, forgetting the playlist all together. How can I set my phone to always remember where I am on a song/playlist like it did with my iPod?

Posted on Mar 24, 2023 12:31 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2023 8:22 AM

Hello DreamWish,

Regarding the Music app, the article here and information below states the option to Shuffle isn't available with Autoplay. How to shuffle music on your iPhone

"If you don't see the Shuffle button

It sounds like what's occurring is your car is overriding your selected playlist and enabling the autoplay feature that just queues up music from your library and not a selected playlist. You can reach out to your car's manufacturer to see if there's any way to disable the Autoplay upon connection feature.

Hope the information helps.

Cheers!

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 27, 2023 8:22 AM in response to DreamWish

Hello DreamWish,

Regarding the Music app, the article here and information below states the option to Shuffle isn't available with Autoplay. How to shuffle music on your iPhone

"If you don't see the Shuffle button

It sounds like what's occurring is your car is overriding your selected playlist and enabling the autoplay feature that just queues up music from your library and not a selected playlist. You can reach out to your car's manufacturer to see if there's any way to disable the Autoplay upon connection feature.

Hope the information helps.

Cheers!

Mar 25, 2023 5:00 PM in response to DreamWish

Hello DreamWish,

Just to confirm, you are not using CarPlay when this happens?

If not, check the manual for your vehicle to see if there is an option to turn off the auto-play feature in the audio settings. This causes the music to start playing upon connection and does not typically resume from where you last left off.

If you need help finding that setting, you may have to reach out the manufacturer of the stereo.

Take care.

Mar 27, 2023 5:41 AM in response to Lager1

Is CarPlay an app I have to download?

Basically, what I've been doing is plugging my phone into the car's iPod USB port, and it automatically starts playing music. I can manually start a playlist, but it doesn't remember where I left off the next time that I plug it in. When I used an iPod in the same port before, it always remembered my place, but with new updates, I can't update/connect my iPod in iTunes anymore, which is why I tried switching to my iPhone.

Playing playlists on my iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.