You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am looking for a good flash drive for my iPad Air 12 ios

Advice re flash drive for iPad Air ios12

iPad Air

Posted on Mar 27, 2023 9:32 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2023 3:36 PM

To be recognised by iPadOS, the attached USB storage device must be formatted to FAT, FAT32, exFAT or APFS with a single partition. As the iPad has limited power capabilities, dependent upon the Storage Device, an external power source is usually required.

If your iPad Pro has a Lightning port, you will need to use an Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter to directly connect USB devices to the iPad. This adapter has both a USB 3.0 Type-A connector and an additional Lightning port to supply power, from your charger, to both the iPad and connected device. The external charger must be rated at 12W or more.

For your first generation iPad Air, choose a simple Flash Storage device from a good quality brand - and not an SSD that uses write-caching.

Some additional information can be found here:

Connect external devices or servers with Files on iPhone - Apple Support

https://www.imore.com/how-use-external-hard-drives-your-iphone-or-ipad

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 27, 2023 3:36 PM in response to Carfieldroad

To be recognised by iPadOS, the attached USB storage device must be formatted to FAT, FAT32, exFAT or APFS with a single partition. As the iPad has limited power capabilities, dependent upon the Storage Device, an external power source is usually required.

If your iPad Pro has a Lightning port, you will need to use an Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter to directly connect USB devices to the iPad. This adapter has both a USB 3.0 Type-A connector and an additional Lightning port to supply power, from your charger, to both the iPad and connected device. The external charger must be rated at 12W or more.

For your first generation iPad Air, choose a simple Flash Storage device from a good quality brand - and not an SSD that uses write-caching.

Some additional information can be found here:

Connect external devices or servers with Files on iPhone - Apple Support

https://www.imore.com/how-use-external-hard-drives-your-iphone-or-ipad

I am looking for a good flash drive for my iPad Air 12 ios

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.