You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot login to Apple ID on older Mac

Hello,

I have multiple Apple devices that are the latest and greatest but I do have a mid-2011 27" Mac running High Sierra 10.13.6. This is the latest OS my machine is capable of using. Other than a few GPU glitches over the years, it has been a great machine.

I booted it up recently and I attempted to login to my Apple ID. It gave me a message saying "Can't Use Your Apple ID on This Device" and this was not the case the last time I used it several months ago.

Would anyone be able to shed some light on this or do I now have a glorified word processor.

Thanks

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Mar 30, 2023 11:03 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2023 2:32 PM

Hi BDAqua,

FYI and thanks for your interest.

I dug into this issue and realized that "Advanced Data Protection" was introduced with Ventura 13.1 sometime at the end of last year. I turned it on for all of my trusted devices. As I have not had this older machine on after that until now, it did not make the list. I think I can disable the data protection feature and log my old machine in but I only use this machine occasionally. Every time I boot this machine up, I'm waiting for the GPU to kick it again :-) It's a shame because this has been a great machine and still is for now.

This is the message I received on my old Mac:

This is my older machine:

Here is the Apple info on Advanced Data Protection:

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 2, 2023 2:32 PM in response to BDAqua

Hi BDAqua,

FYI and thanks for your interest.

I dug into this issue and realized that "Advanced Data Protection" was introduced with Ventura 13.1 sometime at the end of last year. I turned it on for all of my trusted devices. As I have not had this older machine on after that until now, it did not make the list. I think I can disable the data protection feature and log my old machine in but I only use this machine occasionally. Every time I boot this machine up, I'm waiting for the GPU to kick it again :-) It's a shame because this has been a great machine and still is for now.

This is the message I received on my old Mac:

This is my older machine:

Here is the Apple info on Advanced Data Protection:

Cannot login to Apple ID on older Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.