You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Flexgate MacBook Pro 2016- backlight display programme

I spoke to an advisor on chat who said that my laptop was showing signs of the flexgate/backlight display issue for this model. They advised me to take it to Apple for a free repair under the repair programme. I went to the store who refused to repair it because it was more than 3 years since the programme launched. I then spoke to multiple support staff online (kept being disconnected and then not called back, even when they said they would) until one eventually advised me that I could ask for a repair under Consumer Law and should go back to the shop to ask for this instead.

I ended up spending around 4 hours in the store and by the time I was given this advice the store was closed. Has anyone else had this experience and have they been able to have their laptop repaired through this route? The laptop had a design flaw when I bought it so shouldn't apple have to repair it?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Apr 1, 2023 3:35 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2023 11:02 AM

cjsw12 wrote:

I spoke to an advisor on chat who said that my laptop was showing signs of the flexgate/backlight display issue for this model. They advised me to take it to Apple for a free repair under the repair programme. I went to the store who refused to repair it because it was more than 3 years since the programme launched. I then spoke to multiple support staff online (kept being disconnected and then not called back, even when they said they would) until one eventually advised me that I could ask for a repair under Consumer Law and should go back to the shop to ask for this instead.

I ended up spending around 4 hours in the store and by the time I was given this advice the store was closed. Has anyone else had this experience and have they been able to have their laptop repaired through this route? The laptop had a design flaw when I bought it so shouldn't apple have to repair it?

The service program has ended. yes.

The program covered eligible MacBook Pro models for 5 years after the first retail sale of the unit or 3 years from the start date of this program, whichever is longer.

Service Program—

13-inch MacBook Pro Display Backlight Service Program - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 2, 2023 11:02 AM in response to cjsw12

cjsw12 wrote:

The service program has ended. yes.

The program covered eligible MacBook Pro models for 5 years after the first retail sale of the unit or 3 years from the start date of this program, whichever is longer.

Service Program—

13-inch MacBook Pro Display Backlight Service Program - Apple Support

Flexgate MacBook Pro 2016- backlight display programme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.