You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cannot transfer a song from library to iphone - using latest update

I cannot transfer a song from library to iphone - using latest itunes update. Cannot find a sync option which I understand I need

Earlier iPhone models

Posted on Apr 3, 2023 7:13 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2023 1:48 AM

alfonsofe wrote:

Thank you for your reply, but having checked out the link I find that I don't have "Summary" showing in the Settings list

If you can see the device Settings panel, then the Summary pane is there, so this suggests that you're looking in the wrong place.

There are two methods for connecting your device (the iPhone) to your computer's iTunes:

• a cable, connecting the phone from it's lightning connector to a USB port on your computer
    • Wi-Fi, which you would have had to set up. It allows a wireless connection between the two

I'm going to assume that you're using a cable connection (although, once connected, it makes little difference)

Once your phone is seen by iTunes, click on the Device icon near the top of the iTunes window:

iTunes will now display the Device/Summary pane (and you will see the Sync button in the lower right corner):

However, before tapping the Sync button, you need to ensure that some Sync Music options have been chosen. Refer to the screenshot and steps listed, below:

• begin by tapping on Device/Music (1.)

• tap the Sync Music button (2.) to turn on the tick (check mark)
  • for step (3.), choose either:
    • Entire music library, which will add all the music in your iTunes Library to your iPhone {section (4.) will not be displayed}, or
    • Selected playlists, albums, artists and genres, which will display section (4.). If you choose this option, use the sections in (4.) to select the items that you want to add to your phone
  • once you have made your choices above, tap the Sync (or Apply) button in the lower right corner of the iTunes window

That's it.

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 4, 2023 1:48 AM in response to alfonsofe

alfonsofe wrote:

Thank you for your reply, but having checked out the link I find that I don't have "Summary" showing in the Settings list

If you can see the device Settings panel, then the Summary pane is there, so this suggests that you're looking in the wrong place.

There are two methods for connecting your device (the iPhone) to your computer's iTunes:

• a cable, connecting the phone from it's lightning connector to a USB port on your computer
    • Wi-Fi, which you would have had to set up. It allows a wireless connection between the two

I'm going to assume that you're using a cable connection (although, once connected, it makes little difference)

Once your phone is seen by iTunes, click on the Device icon near the top of the iTunes window:

iTunes will now display the Device/Summary pane (and you will see the Sync button in the lower right corner):

However, before tapping the Sync button, you need to ensure that some Sync Music options have been chosen. Refer to the screenshot and steps listed, below:

• begin by tapping on Device/Music (1.)

• tap the Sync Music button (2.) to turn on the tick (check mark)
  • for step (3.), choose either:
    • Entire music library, which will add all the music in your iTunes Library to your iPhone {section (4.) will not be displayed}, or
    • Selected playlists, albums, artists and genres, which will display section (4.). If you choose this option, use the sections in (4.) to select the items that you want to add to your phone
  • once you have made your choices above, tap the Sync (or Apply) button in the lower right corner of the iTunes window

That's it.

Apr 4, 2023 11:44 AM in response to alfonsofe

alfonsofe wrote:

It immediately comes up with a box which says "Are you sure you want to remove existing music, film, TV programmes and books from this iPhone and sync with this iTunes library", then two buttons, one which says "Remove and sync", which I don't want to do, and the other is "Cancel".

The reason why that message comes up is because you are now trying to synchronise your iPhone with a different iTunes library. iPhones etc. can only be synchronised with one library at a time, so if you sync with a second (different) library, it will remove all the media from the old library and replace it with the new library.

Before going any further, we need to establish why this is and what the status of your library is. Which of the following is applicable?

• you have a new computer (if so, do you still have the old one?)
    • it's the same computer as it has always been (i.e. you previously synchronised your iPhone with this computer and iTunes Library) but your computer has been repaired or iTunes has been re-installed
    • it's someone else's computer and library

One other point is do you have music on your phone that you purchased from the iTunes Store, directly on the phone?

Once we have the answers,we can hopefully decide how to remedy the issue.

Apr 4, 2023 5:45 AM in response to the fiend

Thank you, that's helpful.

However, when I click on the "Sync Music" button (the greyed out list of options below has the "Entire music library" ticked) it does not allow me to choose. It immediately comes up with a box which says "Are you sure you want to remove existing music, film, TV programmes and books from this iPhone and sync with this iTunes library", then two buttons, one which says "Remove and sync", which I don't want to do, and the other is "Cancel". So I press "Cancel" and it goes back to the screen with the Sync Music tick box and the greyed out list of options below it. So not sure what to do now. I have an iPhone 6S if that makes a difference.

Apr 5, 2023 2:25 AM in response to the fiend

It's the same computer. The music I have is either stuff I have received from elsewhere and edited on my computer and then transferred to the iPhone or music bought by the previous owner of the iPhone. I have not personally bought music from the iTunes store.

I have somehow previously been able to transfer music onto the iPhone that I had on my computer. I certainly don't want to lose any of the music I have on my iPhone.

I just want to transfer one song I had on my computer and transferred to iTunes.

Apr 5, 2023 1:16 PM in response to alfonsofe

It sounds then, as though your phone is currently synced with the previous owner's iTunes Library. However, songs purchased by that owner are not yours to keep; that would be an infringement of copyright laws (in other words, it's copyright theft). That's the way iTunes is designed to work.

So, to keep those songs, you need to buy your own copy and then add them to your iTunes Library. Any other music on the phone that is yours, but not in your current library needs to be sourced from the place you obtained it originally and added to your library. For example, if you purchased music from Amazon, go to your account with Amazon and (as above) re-download them to your computer and add them to your library.

Once you have your current iTunes Library complete, you can Sync the phone with the library; iTunes will remove all the media from previous library or other sources and replace it with what is in your current library. Since you will have added missing songs that you want to this library, all will be well. You will only lose songs that you haven't bought or re-downloaded as old purchases.

cannot transfer a song from library to iphone - using latest update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.