You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost latest version of extremely important Word document after OS update

I have just updated to the latest OS. Now an extremely important Word document has been lost. It only opens as a version from yesterday.

Please tell me how I can recover the latest version. It was also backed up to iCloud, and even that version is the old one.

Apple. Fix this.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.3

Posted on Apr 4, 2023 5:58 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2023 7:22 AM

Solved. I had to spend $70 on third-party software to recover the files. Dismayed at Apple for this. Huge waste of time and money, and potentially devastating. Would like an explanation and an easier fix (and, ideally, reimbursement of the $70).

Similar questions

9 replies

Apr 4, 2023 8:28 AM in response to CarwynR

CarwynR wrote:

I'd beg to differ. Losing the latest versions of users' important documents as a result of an OS update would seem to me like a bug. And, being a bug, it might be something Apple might wish to "fix". Wouldn't you think so?

You can provide feedback to Apple here: Product Feedback - Apple

It is of no value for us users to debate how Apple should handle refunds or complaints.

I learned a long time ago that my data is my responsibility and I have to do everything possible to protect my data. Apple is not responsible for maintaining or securing your data.

Apr 4, 2023 6:33 AM in response to Randall_2023

Hi, thanks for your reply. I did read that earlier. The problem is that autosave wasn’t turned on as the document’s encrypted. But I literally save it every 3 seconds manually.

I don’t think autorecover would be an option in any case as the OS update seems to have wiped my machine of anything created since noon yesterday.

Apr 4, 2023 8:00 AM in response to CarwynR

CarwynR wrote:

I have just updated to the latest OS. Now an extremely important Word document has been lost. It only opens as a version from yesterday.

Please tell me how I can recover the latest version. It was also backed up to iCloud, and even that version is the old one.

Apple. Fix this.

iCloud does not provide backup for computers. It provides file synchronization, which in this case it appears to have done. You must create and maintain backups on external drives, especially prior to doing system maintenance such as upgrading an operating system.

There is nothing for Apple to "fix".

Apr 4, 2023 8:39 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

Hmm, I would tend to agree with you in other circumstances, to an extent.

But not here. Users have a reasonable expectation that their data will not be wiped by an operating system update. Preventing that is actually Apple's responsibility. To say otherwise is like saying, "It isn't Apple's responsibility to ensure its products work properly." It kind of is. That's the entire purpose behind debugging software - ensuring it actually works. Otherwise, why bother. And "works" includes not compromising extremely important files on the relevant system (i.e. the things you actually use the OS and laptops to work on in the first place; the raison d'être of the machine itself).

In any case, thanks for the link. I'll provide feedback to them.

Lost latest version of extremely important Word document after OS update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.