You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MP3 no longer playing in FCPX

I am editing my wedding video and have a mp3 for the music I am using. Took a break and came back to it and mp3 no longer playing; waveforms are still there in the timeline but the audio won't play. Even when I try to re-import the music, it doesn't play and the waveforms have disappeared, but it will play in quicktime. All other audio in the project will play. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Apr 7, 2023 6:13 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2023 4:48 PM

I had the EXACT SAME issue. I renamed my mp3 file to .mov, and it worked. It now shows up under the waveform audio category.

14 replies

Apr 8, 2023 6:48 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Actually, MP3 files should automatically be "optimized" after import and converted into QuickTime .mov files containing 16-bit LPCM audio at the original sample rate. So, I wonder if the issue is related to the conversion, the converted/optimized file, or something else... ???

Tom's right about MP3 being a poor quality format, especially for use in editing. There are so many ways that MP3 files are encoded, it may be possible that FCP has a problem in some cases...

As Tom recommends, it's always good to convert "lower quality" audio (particularly MP3 files) used with FCP, or any NLE, into uncompressed/LPCM AIFF or WAVE 16- or 24-bit files with a sample rate of 48kHz.

Jul 11, 2024 6:30 AM in response to juliannamdove

Once the file is MP3, converting it to another format does not improve it. There's no way to magically add data that doesn't already exist. I've done tests comparing MP3 encode files in my own recording studio (I've worked pro recording studios my whole life), with the same files encoded to other formats. It's very difficult for the average listener to tell the difference. If you got the file originally as MP3, nothing wrong with using that. Converting it won't improve anything. And MP3 should play back in FCP just fine, EXCEPT if you got it from the iTunes store (do they use MP3 any longer?), then it'll be DRM protected and not play in FCP.

MP3 no longer playing in FCPX

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.