You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone continuity camera problem

I'm trying to figure out how to stop my iPhone from constantly trying to act as the microphone for my Mac Studio. Something like 30-50 times a day, I get a momentary screen that suggests I can "Pause" or "Disconnect" the continuity camera mode, but the buttons don't work and the screen disappears after exactly 1 second. A screen shot is shown below.

The red "Disconnect" button doesn't appear to work. It doesn't give any kind of tactile feedback that it has been pressed. If pressing it actually does work (hard to know because the dialog disappears after one second whether I press a button or not), then the setting must be reactivated a few minutes later.

The problem is that this modal dialog, when it pops up, kills whatever app I was on. There are apps that require recording without interruption, like shooting a video. When this dialog appears, the app is interrupted and a second later, when the dialog drops, my iPhone 14 Pro is back to the home screen. I run an alarm clock app at night. The app gets shut off automatically numerous times during the night because of this. If I'm on a Zoom call the Zoom app drops me. If I'm on a Facetime call the app drops when this happens. If I'm on a Messenger phone meeting the app drops me every time this happens. It's driving me crazy.

All this behavior only started with the update to iOS 16.4.1, so I suspect it's linked to a bug in that version, but I need to find a workaround.

I checked the Continuity Camera Microphone settings on the Mac Studio and there seems to be no way to disconnect the iPhone as a choice.

Can someone help sort this out?

Mac Studio

Posted on Apr 13, 2023 3:23 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2023 3:47 PM

Have you tried this:

To prevent your Mac from recognizing your iPhone as a camera or microphone, even when your iPhone is plugged in and mounted, you can turn off Continuity Camera:
1. On your iPhone, go to Settings > General > AirPlay & Handoff.
2. Turn off Continuity Camera.

Continuity Camera: Use iPhone as a webcam for Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 13, 2023 3:47 PM in response to Adwiz

Have you tried this:

To prevent your Mac from recognizing your iPhone as a camera or microphone, even when your iPhone is plugged in and mounted, you can turn off Continuity Camera:
1. On your iPhone, go to Settings > General > AirPlay & Handoff.
2. Turn off Continuity Camera.

Continuity Camera: Use iPhone as a webcam for Mac - Apple Support

iPhone continuity camera problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.