You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dell p2719h not detected by Macbook Pro 2016

I am attempting to connect the Dell p2719h monitor to my laptop via a docking station. This EXACT setup works perfectly for my work computer (also a Macbook Pro, but 2020). What do I need to do to get it to work here?

Both machines are running Monterey. The only difference is that I do use a MSFT office suite on the work computer. I have done "all the things"... rebooted, reattached cables, even tried to use a direct plugin (HDMI to USB-C) instead of the docking station (where I am using a display port cable from the monitor into the dock), but nothing works.

And to clarify, I can't trigger the "detect displays" button to even appear (yes, I know to hold the option key).

Please help!!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Apr 14, 2023 8:53 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2023 2:08 PM

You are using a StarTech Dock. The DisplayLink Driver (or StarTech's custom version of that DisplayLink Driver) is what might make the DOCK straighten up and fly right.

Dell Display "Drivers", if available, do not work on a Mac AND they are not Drivers at all -- they are just a collection of settings for resolutions and refresh rates. You are not missing anything when you doing not side-load display "Drivers". The Mac asks the display DIRECTLY.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 14, 2023 2:08 PM in response to ColoradoGirl21

You are using a StarTech Dock. The DisplayLink Driver (or StarTech's custom version of that DisplayLink Driver) is what might make the DOCK straighten up and fly right.

Dell Display "Drivers", if available, do not work on a Mac AND they are not Drivers at all -- they are just a collection of settings for resolutions and refresh rates. You are not missing anything when you doing not side-load display "Drivers". The Mac asks the display DIRECTLY.

Apr 14, 2023 11:53 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I'm not sure if I'm following you... There is just the one external monitor and I'm only plugging one Mac into the docking station at any given time. It works with one of the laptops but not the other.

I did go to the Dell site to look for a driver to download on my personal machine, but they don't list a download for anything but a Windows OS - https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-il/product-support/product/dell-p2719h-monitor/drivers

Apr 14, 2023 11:58 AM in response to ColoradoGirl21

StarTech does not saw openly whether their Dock supports ANY displays without first installing the DisplayLink driver.

Re: direct connection. There are TWO impediments.

The first is HDMI cables:

HDMI cables you want for HDMI-only Displays (higher resolutions than 720p TV sets) are marked as Certified with an anti-counterfeiting tag and are labeled:

"Premium High Speed HDMI cable" or that + "with Ethernet" --OR--

"Ultra High Speed HDMI cable" or that + "48G"

Cables with No Certification tags are good for your standard 720p TV set, and not much more.

Apr 14, 2023 12:02 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

the second is how to get Mac displays recognized:

The Mac uses a system that reminds me of “Plug and play” to determine what display is connected, and what its capabilities are.

To get a Mac display to become active, you need the Mac to query the display, and the display to answer with its name and capabilities. Otherwise, the display will not be shown as present, and no data will be sent to the display. "No signal detected" is generated by the DISPLAY, not by the Mac.

This query is only sent at certain times:

• at startup

• at wake from sleep — so momentarily sleeping and waking your Mac may work

• at insertion of the Mac-end of the display-cable, provided everything on that cable is ready-to-go

• hold the Option key while you click on the (Detect Display) button that will appear in Displays preferences (from another display)

so try doing some of those things and see if the display comes alive.

________

Drivers:

What display-makers refer to as Drives are simply profiles for a particular display. They can be useful for Windows, but MacOS asks the display DIRECTLY, and does not rely on side-loaded profiles (pushed as "Drivers")

Apr 14, 2023 1:35 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks for these thoughts...

I wish I could say they helped, but I can't get the "detect display" button to even appear. I did try the things you mentioned (again)...

And I'm not sure if you were suggesting that I should install a display link driver, but again, no MacOS option:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=8mjjy

Any other ideas?

Dell p2719h not detected by Macbook Pro 2016

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.