You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth Stuttering in Catalina on external BT speaker

I have incredibly bad bluetooth stuttering on Catalina when on external speaker.

I have tried the Bluetooth Explorer from Xcode 11 and Xcode 11.4. To increase packets or buffer etc.

I think I set the values too high, now Bluetooth Explorer crashes when I click on tools-> Audio Options.

I have tried sudo defaults delete bluetoothaudiod "AAC Bitrate" to get it to stop crashing like another user suggested but this returns: "Domain (bluetoothaudiod) not found."

Can someone tell me how to get Audio Options in Bluetooth Explorer in Xcode 11 or 11.4 to work again?

And how to prevent Catalina from stuttering incredibly bad on an external BT speaker

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 15, 2023 5:17 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 3, 2023 2:45 PM

Thank you but I fixed it. It was not related to a corrupt install but due to Apple design and manufacturing.

To anyone else with BT problems (stuttering, dropping connection, etc):

Bluetooth Explorer crashing when clicking Audio Tools is normal. The app is coded wrong by Apple. The AAC Bitrate slider goes out of bounds.

Run:

sudo defaults delete bluetoothaudiod "AAC Bitrate"

To get it to stop crashing when clicking Audio Tools and reset the slider back to default. ("defaults delete" merely sets it back to default)

To prevent BT stuttering and connection drops:

Run Bluetooth Explorer (from Additional Tools in Xcode 11.4)

https://developer.apple.com/download/all/?q=xcode

Set all 3 sliders to max i.e. 64, so you get:

sudo defaults read bluetoothaudiod         

(enter your pasword)

{

"Apple Bitpool Max" = 63;

"Apple Bitpool Min" = 64;

"Apple Initial Bitpool" = 64;

"Enable AptX codec" = 1;

"Stream - Max Outstanding Packets" = 15;

}

And also:

defaults write com.apple.BluetoothAudioAgent "Apple Bitpool Min (editable)" -int 40

So you get:

defaults read com.apple.BluetoothAudioAgent

{

"Apple Bitpool Min (editable)" = 40;

}

Don't set them higher than 64 because you will see packet drops in BT explorer graphs.

Now: The 2.4 ghz Bluetooth in these old MBPs conflicts often with Wifi signals that are also using 2.4fgz Wifi. If you use one of these MBPs considering switching your home Wifi to 5.0ghz.

Also golden tip that few people know about:

Run RSSI Sweeper in Bluetooth Explorer from Additional Tools Xcode 11.4 (linked above). This scans the BT landscape and adjuct the packets accordingly. Scan, then click “Force Resume”.

If you move a MPB to a heavy BT congestion zone feel free to run this again prior to any heavy BT work.

Also if using Airpods to listen to music make sure the Input under sound preferences (System Settings) is not set to the Airpods microphone but is set to the internal microphone. If it is set to the Airpods mic it won't use AAC. Also set all outputs to 48khz (from 44khz) in Audio Midi Setup (Launchpad/Utilities).

You now have crystal clear audio over BT using modern airpods or a speaker and an old Macbook.

You're welcome

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 3, 2023 2:45 PM in response to Gold333

Thank you but I fixed it. It was not related to a corrupt install but due to Apple design and manufacturing.

To anyone else with BT problems (stuttering, dropping connection, etc):

Bluetooth Explorer crashing when clicking Audio Tools is normal. The app is coded wrong by Apple. The AAC Bitrate slider goes out of bounds.

Run:

sudo defaults delete bluetoothaudiod "AAC Bitrate"

To get it to stop crashing when clicking Audio Tools and reset the slider back to default. ("defaults delete" merely sets it back to default)

To prevent BT stuttering and connection drops:

Run Bluetooth Explorer (from Additional Tools in Xcode 11.4)

https://developer.apple.com/download/all/?q=xcode

Set all 3 sliders to max i.e. 64, so you get:

sudo defaults read bluetoothaudiod         

(enter your pasword)

{

"Apple Bitpool Max" = 63;

"Apple Bitpool Min" = 64;

"Apple Initial Bitpool" = 64;

"Enable AptX codec" = 1;

"Stream - Max Outstanding Packets" = 15;

}

And also:

defaults write com.apple.BluetoothAudioAgent "Apple Bitpool Min (editable)" -int 40

So you get:

defaults read com.apple.BluetoothAudioAgent

{

"Apple Bitpool Min (editable)" = 40;

}

Don't set them higher than 64 because you will see packet drops in BT explorer graphs.

Now: The 2.4 ghz Bluetooth in these old MBPs conflicts often with Wifi signals that are also using 2.4fgz Wifi. If you use one of these MBPs considering switching your home Wifi to 5.0ghz.

Also golden tip that few people know about:

Run RSSI Sweeper in Bluetooth Explorer from Additional Tools Xcode 11.4 (linked above). This scans the BT landscape and adjuct the packets accordingly. Scan, then click “Force Resume”.

If you move a MPB to a heavy BT congestion zone feel free to run this again prior to any heavy BT work.

Also if using Airpods to listen to music make sure the Input under sound preferences (System Settings) is not set to the Airpods microphone but is set to the internal microphone. If it is set to the Airpods mic it won't use AAC. Also set all outputs to 48khz (from 44khz) in Audio Midi Setup (Launchpad/Utilities).

You now have crystal clear audio over BT using modern airpods or a speaker and an old Macbook.

You're welcome

Apr 18, 2023 9:26 AM in response to Gold333

Hi Gold333,

Do you have this issue when starting your Mac in safe mode? This can help determine if one of your startup items is causing the issue. You can learn how to use safe mode here: Start up your Mac in safe mode

If things persist we'd recommend trying to create a new user account and testing things there. This will determine if the issue is only happening with your user account or across your entire system. Here's how to create a new user: Add a user or group on Mac

If you're unable to isolate the issue you can reach out for additional support here: Get Support

Take care.

Bluetooth Stuttering in Catalina on external BT speaker

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.