You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

blocking emails from savethekoala

How do i stop these emails from savethekoala at the server so i never see them in Apple Mail?

[Link Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Apr 17, 2023 8:53 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2023 2:54 PM

Comcast is my ISP. They don't do anything with my Apple email server other than transport packets of data between me and it.

I found this: Logging into the Apple iCloud web site under my AppleID, click on the matrix icon and select Mail, click on the gear icon, select Preferences, and Rules. Whew! Now there is a Rules menu where i can block domains, I hope.

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 17, 2023 2:54 PM in response to tbirdvet

Comcast is my ISP. They don't do anything with my Apple email server other than transport packets of data between me and it.

I found this: Logging into the Apple iCloud web site under my AppleID, click on the matrix icon and select Mail, click on the gear icon, select Preferences, and Rules. Whew! Now there is a Rules menu where i can block domains, I hope.

May 4, 2023 9:12 AM in response to JimRobertson

(replying to myself, but intended for anyone reading the thread):

My incoming spam is still being handled, but that's true even though much of the flood is now coming from totally different, but similarly crafted, fake addresses, with the actual CONTENT of the drivel repetitions of what I used to get from the koala-lover (this time he's claiming a relationship with the kaspersky family!, to wit:

Reply-To: Optimum

So, now I'm guessing that perhaps clicking that toilet-dispenser "junk" icon is not useless, although the logic of what happens to produce that happy result is not obvious:

1. The drivel is being routed, as READ messages, into my iCloud trash (not the junk folder), WITHOUT being formatted in brown text
  2. However, another bunch of it DOES go into the junk folder, formatted in brown and marked as unread, but its claimed origins having no obvious sibling relationships either with the koala-lovers or the kasperskys

Perhaps I should give up on ever defining WHY, and just praise somebody in Cupertino for the fact that at least the stuff is being filtered better!

[Email Edited by Moderator]

Apr 24, 2023 3:02 PM in response to tbirdvet

The spammmer who sends torrents of messages either from an address that includes multiple changing digits in the username (so that rules based on blocking a single address won’t work, or from an address with a domain name that includes hungarapharma.hu seems ALWAYs (or at least in my experience) to send from a “reply-to” email address of <agents@savethekoala.com>. I’ve just created a rule that shuttles any incoming message with that <reply-to> address in the email headers directly into the iCloud mail’s trash folder. For now, that’s working.

What puzzles me, however, is WHY the contents of the reply-to header in his disgusting “work product” are constant, since I think his use of constantly changing digits in his “sent from” address are what makes it impossible for Apple’s junk filters to recognize their actual unchanging origin.

One person I’ve read posits that this is intentional, and that the misspellings and poorly implemented logos are intentional as well, because the spammer is aiming at the bottom of the barrel rather than at people of average or greater intelligence, who, if they get angry enough, might actually set in motion efforts that might uncover him, whereas people too unsophisticated to recognize the oddities in his messages are not likely to have the resources or talents to bring him down when he’s likely obtaining tiny amounts of cash from each successful spam (hence the daily torrent of messages). Mine have gone from > 100 per 12 hours to none in the past 6 hours, while my “trash” folder now is getting those messages.

Everyone I’ve talked with who’s getting this stuff who’s identified the OS in use has been on Ventura. I have no idea whether there’s something about the Mail.app itself in the current macOS that makes it more susceptible to this stuff, but some really knowledgeable Apple authors and journalists think that’s only a coincidence.

My greatest worry at the moment is that this guy somehow FORGOT about the ability to create a Mail rule that discards junk/spam based on the back end of the domain name, and that realizing this has enabled me to stop clicking on the “move to junk” icon (which in a bit of residual skeuomorphic interface referencing to me resembles a piece of toilet tissue hanging off the roller). It will move individual bits of message fecal matter into the toilet, but it doesn’t do anything prophylactically.

blocking emails from savethekoala

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.