You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

uploading heic files to icloud photos

All my iphone photos are on my win 10 laptop in heic format; I want to upload them to icloud photos. Why can I not do this? the upload window only offers jpg and a few others, not Apple's prefered iphone format.

Is this because I'm using Windows 10 to try to upload?

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Apr 17, 2023 10:12 AM

2 replies

Apr 19, 2023 11:37 AM in response to fergusPearson

Hello fergusPearson,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Sounds like you’re unable to upload some of your photos to iCloud using your Windows PC. Are you using iCloud for Windows? If so, we’d like to help out and recommend some steps to see if we can get this issue sorted out. First, make sure that we’re properly following these steps to upload photos to iCloud: Set up and use iCloud Photos on your Windows PC - Apple Support

In iCloud for Windows 10 or later
1.) Open a File Explorer window.
2.) In the Navigation pane, click iCloud Photos.
3.) In another window, open the folder where you currently store the photos that you want to add to iCloud Photos.
4.) Select the photos that you want to add.
5.) Drag them into the iCloud Photos folder.
You can view the photos and videos you uploaded in the Photos app on iCloud.com and on all your Apple devices.

You did mention that you’re unable to upload them to iCloud. Are you receiving an error message? If so, what does the message say? These details can help us better understand what is going on. That way we can recommend some steps you can try. Also, if these photos are already on your iPhone and you wish to sync them to iCloud, you can simply just enable iCloud Photos to sync them. Just in case, this resource can show you how: Sign in to iCloud on all your devices - Apple Support

We hope this helps out. Feel free to keep us posted. Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Take it easy.

uploading heic files to icloud photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.