You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I upgrade from mac Catalina to mac Ventura?

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Apr 17, 2023 11:04 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2023 11:11 AM

That depends on your current Mac hardware and if it is on this list: macOS Big Sur is compatible with these computers - Apple Support . If it is, you can get the full Big Sur installer from: How to download macOS - Apple Support . I recommend using Safari for this purpose.

Before you consider upgrading the operating system, I recommend that you confirm that your printer/scanner vendor offers a compatible driver for macOS 11 (Big Sur), or that the printer/multi-function device is supported by Apple's built-in AirPrint when networked. You may also need to verify that each of your third-party vendor applications are compatible with, or have updates for Big Sur.

Perform a last Time Machine backup on Catalina before your upgrade to Big Sur, and I recommend your first TM backup on Big Sur occur on a fresh APFS formatted drive instead of your Catalina backup drive.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 17, 2023 11:11 AM in response to quo1Cho

That depends on your current Mac hardware and if it is on this list: macOS Big Sur is compatible with these computers - Apple Support . If it is, you can get the full Big Sur installer from: How to download macOS - Apple Support . I recommend using Safari for this purpose.

Before you consider upgrading the operating system, I recommend that you confirm that your printer/scanner vendor offers a compatible driver for macOS 11 (Big Sur), or that the printer/multi-function device is supported by Apple's built-in AirPrint when networked. You may also need to verify that each of your third-party vendor applications are compatible with, or have updates for Big Sur.

Perform a last Time Machine backup on Catalina before your upgrade to Big Sur, and I recommend your first TM backup on Big Sur occur on a fresh APFS formatted drive instead of your Catalina backup drive.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.