You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud still full after deleting most Messages

What do you have to do to get iCloud to reflect deletions? This is SO annoying. I deleted a lot of messages, which were the main consumer of space in iCloud and two weeks later I am still get warnings. Very subtle, Apple, but I am NOT signing up for a subscription for more space.

Posted on Apr 17, 2023 6:18 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2023 4:03 PM

I have deleted a whole bunch of messages, which accounted for most of my iCloud usage. It doesn't make a difference. The amount shown on iCloud does not reflect the deletions!!! See my original question!

9 replies

Apr 20, 2023 4:20 PM in response to SASanderson

Hi SASanderson,

Per the article Delete messages and conversations in Messages on Mac:

"When you delete a message or conversation, it’s moved to the Recently Deleted folder. You can view and recover items in the Recently Deleted folder for up to 30 days. After 30 days, the messages are removed from all your devices. After 40 days, the messages are permanently deleted from iCloud.

1. In the Messages app  on your Mac, choose View > Recently Deleted.
  2. Select the conversation in the sidebar.
  3. Do one of the following:
    • Recover a recently deleted message or conversation: Click Recover.
    • Permanently delete a recently deleted message or conversation: Click Delete."

Messages that are deleted but still retained in the recently deleted folder would continue to utilize storage. You may try the process from that page to permanently delete these items to recover the space, and if you have further concerns or questions contact Apple via Contact - Official Apple Support.

Regards.

Apr 19, 2023 11:05 AM in response to ASTRO24

I have already done everything you suggested. Nothing works. I am deleting from iCloud on my Mac, which should be the dominant device. At first I thought it was iCloud not really deleting my old messages, but I have waited for iCloud's period before a full delete and nothing disappears. I hate that the "easy" solution would be to subscribe for a minimal amount of paid storage from Apple, but won't do it because I don't like being coerced.

Jun 29, 2024 9:36 AM in response to AaronTheMan

Permanently remove recently deleted messages and attachments

Deleted messages and attachments remain in the Recently Deleted folder for 30 days, but you can permanently remove them before that.

1. Open the Messages app  on your iPhone.
  2. In the Messages conversation list, do one of the following:
    • Tap Edit in the top-left corner, then tap Show Recently Deleted.
    • Tap Filters in the top-left corner, then tap Recently Deleted.
  1. If you’re in a conversation, tap  to return to the conversation list.
  2. Select the conversations whose messages you want to delete permanently, tap Delete, then follow the onscreen instructions.

Apr 19, 2023 10:40 AM in response to SASanderson

Hi SASanderson,

Thanks for posting in Apple Support Communities.

With your iCloud storage giving storage warnings, make sure that you are looking at iCloud storage bar and not the iPhone storage.

1. Go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud.
  2. Tap Manage Account Storage or tap Manage Storage

You can delete message threads from Message app. Restart your iPhone to refresh running processes. Also, make sure that your iPhone is running the latest available software version for your iPhone model to ensure the most recent software fixes.

Manage your iCloud storage - Apple Support

Regards.

Apr 19, 2023 11:30 AM in response to SASanderson

Hey there SASanderson, 

If you are running out of iCloud storage, and do not wish to purchase additional storage, it will be necessary for you to locate the content taking up space in iCloud, then delete it.

Taking another look at Manage your iCloud storage,

"You can free up storage in iCloud by deleting content that you're not using:

If you need more direct assistance locating and removing content you have stored in iCloud, you'll want to contact Apple Support for assistance.

Have a good one!

iCloud still full after deleting most Messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.