You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Double clicking file opens app, but do not opens the file

Hi there,

I think the title is self explanatory but suddenly I noticed some of the native apps like Text Edit, Pages and Numbers are not opening the files when double clicking it on Finder windows. It opens the application but not the file, forcing me to open it via "File -> Open" menu.

Am I missing something?

Thanks for your help guys!

Mac mini, 12.6

Posted on Apr 18, 2023 6:37 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Apr 20, 2023 3:36 PM in response to dzanella

Hello dzanella,

Thank you for posting to the Apple Support Communities. 

If you are unable to open certain files, please try opening these same files after starting your Mac in safe mode: Start up your Mac in safe mode

It may also help to restart your Mac and install any available software updates: 

If the issue continues, please reply back and let us know if this is happening with every file that you open with these apps. Do you notice the same thing with other file types, such as a Keynote or Numbers file? 

Have a great day! 

May 16, 2023 2:41 AM in response to dzanella

I noticed the same problem since I updated to Ventura. For me, however, it doesn't only occur with native apps, but with pretty much all programs.

Pdf, txt, zip, mkv, mp4 are just a few file types where opening with a double-click doesn't work, but interestingly only with some of them, with others it works fine.

These "problematic" files also do not open with a right-click and selecting the correct program from the "open with" dialog.

I can definitely rule out problems with the file permissions and the error also occurs in Safe Mode.

May 17, 2023 3:36 PM in response to dialabrain

That sounds very promising, hopefully the problem will actually be solved.

The issue indeed seems to occur only with files that contain unusual characters. I have noticed it with filenames containing German umlauts as well as Japanese characters.

However, there is no discernible pattern, with these characters it sometimes works, but also sometimes it doesn't work.

Double clicking file opens app, but do not opens the file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.