You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Other users taking 200GB storage but I only have one user

Hello. I have a 2019 16" Macbook pro. I'm the only user and there is only 1 login. However in storage information I have 200GB attributed to "other users". I attach screenshots of the users and the storage info. I thought it could be some backups in the disk utility but it appears that is only using 10GB (see screenshot also).

Sometimes when I install things I am asked if I want to install for all users. I usually say yes because since I'm the only one I didn't think it mattered. But maybe that's making duplicate copies?

Any other ideas?

Thank you.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.3

Posted on Apr 19, 2023 1:10 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2023 2:13 AM

Two possibilities come to mind.

One is that this information is in error. Unlikely, but possible. You could try to rebuild the Spotlight index and see if this changes anything.

The second is that maybe there is some content in either a deleted account, or under Shared.

I am thinking more of the latter.

In the Finder, press Command-Shift-H to go to your home folder, then press Command-UpArrow to go one level up. What do you see?

You should at least have two folders there: your home folder, and a folder called "Shared".

Is there anything else? If there is, it may be a home folder from a deleted account that was left behind. If not, select Shared and press Command-I to open the Info window. Is this about 200GB in size?

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 19, 2023 2:13 AM in response to hamish282

Two possibilities come to mind.

One is that this information is in error. Unlikely, but possible. You could try to rebuild the Spotlight index and see if this changes anything.

The second is that maybe there is some content in either a deleted account, or under Shared.

I am thinking more of the latter.

In the Finder, press Command-Shift-H to go to your home folder, then press Command-UpArrow to go one level up. What do you see?

You should at least have two folders there: your home folder, and a folder called "Shared".

Is there anything else? If there is, it may be a home folder from a deleted account that was left behind. If not, select Shared and press Command-I to open the Info window. Is this about 200GB in size?

Other users taking 200GB storage but I only have one user

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.