You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airdrop not working in Ventura

We've updated our iMac to Ventura and since doing so Airdrop is not working. I can find the device to send the file to from my MacBook Pro and the pop up shows up on the iMac to receive it. It goes through the send process, but once it's done, the files are no where to be found. How can I fix this? I use this feature frequently between these two devices.

Posted on Apr 20, 2023 8:04 AM

13 replies

Jun 27, 2023 9:26 PM in response to leroydouglas

Just upgraded to 13.4.1 on iMac 2017 and I can confirm that AirDrop has stopped working with my iPad Air 2 and iPhone SE, both running IOS 15.7.7.

Just like the others, I can see the devices from each other but any attempt at a file transfer but completely files with the icon just flashing "waiting..."

Very frustrating as I used to use AirDrop all the time.

I've done all the checks, ensured each device is up to date with software, checked that firewalls aren't interfering, rebooted all devices, cycled the wifi and bluetooth multiple times, and no change... the devices can see each other but no file transfer takes place.

Apr 20, 2023 8:08 AM in response to DarinBrannon

DarinBrannon wrote:

We've updated our iMac to Ventura and since doing so Airdrop is not working. I can find the device to send the file to from my MacBook Pro and the pop up shows up on the iMac to receive it. It goes through the send process, but once it's done, the files are no where to be found. How can I fix this?

I use this feature frequently between these two devices.

Can you verify your software is up to date…

The current stable release of Ventura including bug fixes, security updates is macOS Ventura 13.3.1

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

Shut down and restart both devices and compare your results.

Sep 18, 2023 10:18 AM in response to DarinBrannon

Finally found a solution. This may be for a very specific scenario.

My Setup

• Mac with latest version of MacOS Ventura
  • iPhone with latest version of iOS16. Turns out, in iOS 16

I was able to AirDrop from the iPhone to the Mac, but not from the Mac to the same iPhone.

It was a visibility issue. In iOS 16, the default is "Visible to Contacts only". And, it does not allow a "visible to all" option turned on forever. You can enable that for 10 mins only.

So fix for me was to enable the "visible to all" option for my iPhone, so that my Mac could see my iPhone.

How to turn on the "visible to all" option for AirDrop on your iPhone with iOS 16? I found that on this video at 3:20 mark.

https://youtu.be/tjqupl76z4o?si=jH-WSvvqpyzmzrPI&t=200

Jul 6, 2023 3:31 PM in response to mwolvekamp

None of this has worked for me. My Dropbox is not backing up any folders. iOS is 16.5.1 (as of 7/6/2023) and Mac is Ventura 13.4.1 (as of 7/6/2023). Every time I attempt to airdrop from iPhone 14 to Macbook Pro 16 2021 M1 it says "waiting" and never transfers. When I attempt the same in reverse from MBP to iPhone, I drag an image for instance over the icon of the iPhone and nothing. No error message, to indication anything is being transfered, nothing. Never transfers. It is very frustrating to have these devices not functioning with Apple's own software, nevermind all the frustrations with third-party softwares that don't like M1 chip.

Jul 9, 2023 8:43 AM in response to Composting

Had the same problem after upgrading to Ventura. Eventually solved it by searching for and opening the Airdrop app in finder, for some reason Ventura had set Airdrop's "Allow me to be discovered by" to "no-one". Weirdly my phone could still find the computer but the files never arrived. I changed that setting back to to "Everyone" and Airdrop worked again.

Airdrop not working in Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.