You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot download MacOS Mojave installer

I try to download the macOS Mojave DMG, as I want to install in on a virtual machine to run an old 32 bit program.

But no matter if I try to download it directly from the app store or in the terminal with

softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer --full-installer-version 10.14.6

I always get an error message. It seems to want to run the installation right after downloading the DMG, which probably fails as I'm currently on macOS Catalina.

I also checked in the applications folder, the installer is not there. Do I maybe need to delete something else to allow for a new, clean download?

iMac 27″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Apr 20, 2023 6:54 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2023 7:05 PM

So that we can help you best, please tell us which Mac, model and year you’re having trouble with, and what macOS version you’re running. Find that info by clicking the Apple menu () at the top-left of your screen and then select About This Mac. (Note- for privacy and security please don’t post your serial number.)

If a simple reboot of your Mac doesn’t fix things, see if the problem still happens in Safe mode (press and hold the shift key down at startup). It can take much longer to safe boot (5 min) so be patient.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support 

Safe mode is non-destructive to user data. It’s not a cure-all, but very often corrects weird software behavior. When you're in safe boot, the machine will not be at its best performance, especially with graphics, but that's expected.

Does the problem persist while in Safe mode?

Try to download the installer while booted in Safe mode.

Exit safe mode by restarting your Mac normally and re-evaluate the issue again.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 20, 2023 7:05 PM in response to Brandis13

So that we can help you best, please tell us which Mac, model and year you’re having trouble with, and what macOS version you’re running. Find that info by clicking the Apple menu () at the top-left of your screen and then select About This Mac. (Note- for privacy and security please don’t post your serial number.)

If a simple reboot of your Mac doesn’t fix things, see if the problem still happens in Safe mode (press and hold the shift key down at startup). It can take much longer to safe boot (5 min) so be patient.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support 

Safe mode is non-destructive to user data. It’s not a cure-all, but very often corrects weird software behavior. When you're in safe boot, the machine will not be at its best performance, especially with graphics, but that's expected.

Does the problem persist while in Safe mode?

Try to download the installer while booted in Safe mode.

Exit safe mode by restarting your Mac normally and re-evaluate the issue again.

Apr 20, 2023 7:54 PM in response to Brandis13

To find it... Find Any File...

http://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/index.php

Hold Option or alt key when selecting Find to Find All.

If you get a corrupted message...

Naw, it's not damaged, it's just that you have an old copy already in Applications, there are 2 cures...

If you’re short of bandwidth or data… Disconnect from the Internet & set the Date back to 2014, then you can run the Install MacsOS Mohave App in Applications, so expired Certificates are not expired.

Or... trash the Install MacsOS Mojave.app in Applications then a new copy can be downloaded.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/macos-mojave/id1398502828?mt=12

Apr 20, 2023 10:17 PM in response to Brandis13

Brandis13 wrote:

But no matter if I try to download it directly from the app store or in the terminal with

softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer --full-installer-version 10.14.6

FWIW, there is no DMG of macOS Mojave, it's an app. Second, I had no problem downloading Mojave using the Terminal command you posted. It downloads "Install macOS Mojave" to the Applications folder. I'm installing it as a VM on my Late 5K 2015 iMac which is running Monterey 12.6.5 as I type.

edit: using VMWare Fusion 13.0.1

Cannot download MacOS Mojave installer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.