You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wi-fi prioritization

I live in a multi-unit retirement community with many wi-fi networks. Is there a way to select which network my devices clamp onto in various areas, either by placing them in an order or by auto-joining the strongest one that I have access to in a particular area? Applies to iPad (9th generation), iPhone 13, and MacBook Pro (M2 Pro, 2023). TIA!

iPhone 13

Posted on Apr 21, 2023 9:52 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2023 9:28 AM

See this Apple Support document:

How iOS, iPadOS, and macOS decide which wireless network to auto-join - Apple Support

To ensure you have control over which network is selected, turn off auto-join on the networks you don't want to automatically connect to. Manually switch to those networks as needed.

On the Mac go to System Settings -> Wi-Fi -> Advanced button at the bottom -> Look at Known Networks. There is a tiny grey circle with 3 dots. Click that and you can uncheck Auto-Join.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 22, 2023 9:28 AM in response to Richard Lander1

See this Apple Support document:

How iOS, iPadOS, and macOS decide which wireless network to auto-join - Apple Support

To ensure you have control over which network is selected, turn off auto-join on the networks you don't want to automatically connect to. Manually switch to those networks as needed.

On the Mac go to System Settings -> Wi-Fi -> Advanced button at the bottom -> Look at Known Networks. There is a tiny grey circle with 3 dots. Click that and you can uncheck Auto-Join.

Wi-fi prioritization

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.