You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Slow network speeds on iCloud

Hi,

I have issues with iCloud upload/download speeds. Whenever my iPhone is syncing something or I'm uploading/downloading something from iCloud.com, I get ~2Mbps of speed on average. I can confirm this is not my network issue. I have used Mega and Google and they both allow upload/download speeds of up to 100 Mbps (which is my network's limit).

I was just going to upgrade my iCloud plan to allow more storage so I can use it as my main cloud drive, but it seems impossible due to speeds this bad. I can not wait hours for things to upload/download. Does someone else have this issue or is there some way I can resolve this? I have already signed up for a Google One plan and I'm planning to switch to Google Drive if this stays the same. It's not going to be as convenient as iCloud on iPhone but I can compromise that.

Oh, and I'm from Pakistan. Just in case it's a server thing :D

Thank you.

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Apr 23, 2023 10:11 PM

Similar questions

10 replies

Jun 9, 2023 10:56 AM in response to GH07T

Bring up the terminal application is Utilities folder in Applications.

type

%host traceroute www.iCloud.com

this should show each network hop from your location to iCloud.com. What you’re looking for is where the large response times are. This will identify in the path to iCloud where the delays are.

What you’re probably going see is large times >200millisec at certain locations. If these large delays are being displayed when going thru your ISP. You can call them and report.

I suspect from your location you have a long path to iCloud and anyone of these points can be the problem with slow speeds. Also the time and day can impact your response times, like 5pm on weekdays. Or when Sports video feeds are occurring, or even major updates for iOS or MacOS.

Last if you need more help call the Apple tech support line at 1-800-MY-APPLE

Jun 9, 2023 1:18 AM in response to GH07T

I've tried configuring the router as well as changing the ISP. I've tried using mobile data as well as multiple broadbands in different cities. Nothing seems to solve the problem so I'm just going to assume it's either a server issue or iCloud limits the speeds based on regions. Thanks for the responses :)

Jun 9, 2023 9:30 AM in response to GH07T

Hey GH07T,

Thanks for those details. If this behavior persists on all networks, it's possible that what you're experiencing is expected, but to make sure we'd suggest reaching out to Apple Support to have this looked into further, as they'll be best equipped to assist. For help reaching them, please use the following information to give them a call in Pakistan:

Dial 00800 01001 first, then dial 800 361 0479

This is outlined further here: Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Take care!

Jul 2, 2024 12:08 AM in response to GH07T

The local provider in Berne, Switzerland runs glass fibre. I bought the package with 10GBit/s, equalling 1.2 GB of data per second and usually hit 500-900 during all day. Last night I just needed some fotos from iCloud on my desktop (a fast M1 MacBook Pro by the way, 14.5. and it is still not done. I tested this morning 3-5 MBits/sec. That is less than one (1) percent of what I usually have at home or work here. I upgrades to max 15TB with Apple's ilcoud to iCloud+ and 15TB. I mean, not even one percent of speed? Most of my peers run Google drive at around 300-600 MBits/s. Same area, street and cable. Same provider, same package. I must change my cloud drive soon if Apple does neither respond or are coming up with some ideas and solutions. Seriously. Please do something about it. Here my glass package (and it runs almost at that speed it promises):

and this is what I keep measuring for days now:

Please can anyone help? Is it me, my equipment (LAN 7 cable directly in the router, fast Mac with M-chip.

Thank you very much for sharing your situation. Any help at all, really, will aI appreciate. Thank youPPPP

JB

Apr 25, 2023 10:19 PM in response to Community User

Hey Trece1, Thanks for the response.

I doubt it's an issue with the router because, again, I can upload and download just fine for anything other than iCloud. The issue is the same with both the PC (connected to the router through a cable) and iPhone. I've still gone through the settings and everything seems to be fine for me (even thought most of the settings are for wireless so it shouldn't be a problem for the PC). It seems more like an issue with the servers not being optimized for Pakistan to me. Let me know what you think :D

Thank you

Sep 19, 2024 12:53 AM in response to GH07T

I have also noticed incredibly slow speeds and we are on fibre 150mbps download currently. And as per all the other people - it is not the router. I at first thought it was just in rural areas, but I am in a city currently, on a different router/service and same issue - what seemed pretty practical with the cloud and moved me to them, has become a huge frustration for me. In very rural areas my iCloud account cannot/does not even perform at all and is unable to upload big files. Small mental things yes, but takes time - big files...forget about it. So my question to Apple is, why keep my iCloud storage and not switch to Dropbox desktop that is so much easier to view online and also down and upload when needed?

Slow network speeds on iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.