You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

download monterey

upgrading catalina to monterey, how can i download monterey?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 25, 2023 11:54 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2023 1:22 AM

You can download Monterey and other older OS versions here:

How to download macOS - Apple Support

You should first check if your mac is supported in Monterey:

macOS Monterey is compatible with these computers - Apple Support

7 replies

Jun 2, 2023 8:49 AM in response to PRP_53

I'm having the same problem.

Catalina download works, Big Sur too, but not Monterey.

I'm running Catalina on a 2017 4K iMac, which qualifies for the upgrade.

Anyway, I'm not sure if I really need it.

It's just that producers of programs say "optimized for Monterey" - whatever that means. (e.g. Affinity)

plus - yesterday I got a hint that my firmware might burp – was sent to Apple.

Jun 2, 2023 9:26 AM in response to tymcat108

The Monterey issue could be and only If the Machine has an After Market Internal Drive and Not an Apple Original Drive

Have seen some users attempting to install Monterey with Non Apple Original Drives

There is an EFI Boot ROM contained within the Monterey Installer from Apple

It will Verify of the Destination Drive is Apple Original

If it Does Not find it, the Monterey Installer will generally fails with an Error Message

The EFI Boot ROM needs to Flash the Computer and not the drive itself

If this condition ( Non Apple Drive ) is your issue.

Switch Out the Non Apple Drive for an Original

Run the Monterey Installer to that Drive

Once done - reverse the above and replace with the After Market Drive

Then Run the Installer to this drive

It has been known to work this way

Hope this is helpful or at least informative

Jun 3, 2023 2:43 AM in response to macosnewuser

This might be it!

I'm warned, thank you – but what didn't work for two days, the download, just started, so it was an Apple server issue or whatever inbetween.

I just bought this wonderfully enhanced 2017 iMackie with a Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD with still Sierra on it.

I installed Catalina, which I still had from my 2012 MBP, but want to inch forward towards an actual system.

Since opening a 21,5 inch iMac is very tedious, if there still is a problem, I'll try by starting from an external "original" drive. But for now it's loading :)

Thank you P. Phillips!

Jun 3, 2023 3:01 AM in response to tymcat108

Welcome

Technically, the 2017 iMac can just make the Cut Off Point on qualifying to run Ventura macOS 13 as well as Monterey macOS 12

The major stumbling block will be the Third Party Internal Drive in regards to macOS 12 Monterey and / or Ventura.

If you do have an Apple Original Drive in a Good Enclosure - you maybe able to Direct the Monterey Installer to that External Drive

Have seen some that could make it work

Predicated on a Successful installation to the External Drive, you make still be able to Run the Installer and direct to the Internal Drive

During the installation to External Drive - it should or may in fact Flash the Computer thinly allowing the Installation to Internal

As an aside and one a comment

The " Walled Garden of Eden " aka " Apple Eco-System " has had a few more Bricks added to the Wall - parity to Pick Floyds song - humour here

Best of Luck.

Should additional questions arise, do post back and will do my best to assist.

download monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.