You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MS Office Does Not Work on New Mac

I purchased a new Macbook and along with it I purchased a version of MS Office Home & Business 2021. When I downloaded it using the provided product key, I then tried to install it and it said "You can't open the application "OfficeSetup.exe" because Microsoft Windows applications are not supported in macOS"

The product stated that it is for PC/Mac - what did I do wrong and how can I get the Mac version installed?

Thx

MacBook Pro 13″, 10.14

Posted on Apr 26, 2023 8:52 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2023 5:30 AM

If the file extension is with "*.exe" or "*.msi" means that is associated with Microsoft windows(PC) versions.

Where as in macOS it could be *.pkg or *.dmg.

Maybe the link that was offered to you was the default windows version, Reach out to support.microsoft.com

See:https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/download-and-install-or-reinstall-microsoft-365-or-office-2021-on-a-pc-or-mac-4414eaaf-0478-48be-9c42-23adc4716658

Hope it helps.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 27, 2023 5:30 AM in response to MArchon_MacUser

If the file extension is with "*.exe" or "*.msi" means that is associated with Microsoft windows(PC) versions.

Where as in macOS it could be *.pkg or *.dmg.

Maybe the link that was offered to you was the default windows version, Reach out to support.microsoft.com

See:https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/download-and-install-or-reinstall-microsoft-365-or-office-2021-on-a-pc-or-mac-4414eaaf-0478-48be-9c42-23adc4716658

Hope it helps.

Apr 26, 2023 9:28 AM in response to MArchon_MacUser

MArchon_MacUser wrote:

I purchased a new Macbook and along with it I purchased a version of MS Office Home & Business 2021. When I downloaded it using the provided product key, I then tried to install it and it said "You can't open the application "OfficeSetup.exe" because Microsoft Windows applications are not supported in macOS"

The product stated that it is for PC/Mac - what did I do wrong and how can I get the Mac version installed?
Thx

Contact Microsoft or look at their help forum for the correct version of Office to download to use with your MAC.

MS Office Does Not Work on New Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.