You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macintosh Mouse M5769 does not physically fit into Apple Keyboard M2452

Hi, I have an older M2452 (Powermac G3 or G4) keyboard, graphite in color, and I bought a Macintosh Mouse Pro M5769 because it looked era correct. However, the mouse, while able to plug into the back of a Studio monitor USB port, does not mate correctly with the keyboard's USB port, on either side. The keyboard was NOS and is new in appearance, so I don't think it's damaged.

The keyboard and the mouse cable's both plug into my Powermac G4 via the USB 1.1 or USB 2.0 (PCI card) or the back of the monitor and work flawlessly, but the mouse will just not mate with the keyboard ports on each side. It hangs about halfway in. Is there a physical dimensional difference in the Keyboards ports than standard USB? I know the hockey puck mouse was sold with these, so maybe I should just get that one?

Posted on Apr 27, 2023 12:40 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2023 1:52 PM

Hi,

I have an M2452 (bondi blue) keyboard in front of me. The ports (1) and (2) have standard USB connectors, and would work with any USB Type-A plug (your keyboard's USB plug should fit, although it serves no meaningful purpose).

Similar questions

4 replies

Apr 27, 2023 4:17 PM in response to 1strail

The USB-A port and plug conform to an industry standard, so you shouldn't find differences between manufacturers. Through the process of elimination, the USB plugs on the keyboard and mouse can be inserted into the back of the computer, so that rules them out as the cause of the problem. It's interesting that both USB ports on the keyboard prevent the plug from being fully-inserted. New ports are normally snug and can be dry when attempting to insert the plug. Have you tried inserting the keyboard's own USB plug into either port? If it hangs up midway, the problem lies with the keyboard. Have you examined the keyboard's ports with a flashlight and magnifying glass to check for oxidation or (worse yet) bent pins? You've indicated that the keyboard is NOS, but with anything that has sat somewhere in storage for years, you never know if it was damaged by a customer shortly after its original purchase and then exchanged for another, before it acquired a "used" look. As for the Pro Mouse, it has no strain relief where the cable exits the mouse, so I recommend using it gently to prevent shorting it out from repeated flexing at that spot. I don't think buying another mouse is necessary.

Apr 27, 2023 8:33 PM in response to 1strail

Thanks to both of you! The USB ports on the keyboard are in fact industry standard. I am guessing that because the keyboard was never used, the connecters just contracted ever so slightly over time. I gave the mouse connector a very firm push and it went in, not in a snapping way, I had to exert pressure all the way in on both ports. Once I did it a few times, it became easier and easier. I was just afraid of wrecking a brand new vintage keyboard, but all is good now!

Macintosh Mouse M5769 does not physically fit into Apple Keyboard M2452

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.