You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple pencil (1st gen.) not recognized for ipad Pro 12.9 (2nd gen.)

My Apple pencil stopped working somehow. I tried turning off Bluetooth, forgetting the pencil, hard resetting, and charging my Apple pencil with a lightning cable, but none of them worked.

I even bought a new pencil, but it also doesn't work. The iPad's lightning port seems to be working and I can charge it with a lightning cable.

Furthermore, on the lock screen, it says "Accessory connected. Unlock iPad to use Accessory." when I connect my Apple pencil. But when I see Setting, none appears in the Bluetooth tab.

Is there any way to fix this problem? Is this because I updated to iOS 16.4?

iPad Pro (2nd generation)

Posted on Apr 28, 2023 1:49 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2023 3:15 PM

This support page may be helpful with pairing and use of the Pencil with your iPad:

Connect Apple Pencil with your iPad - Apple Support

If you continue to experience difficulties, here is one of the better troubleshooting guides:

https://appletoolbox.com/apple-pencil-not-working-heres-our-troubleshooting-guide/

If you are unable to resolve the issue, a visit to the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) is recommended. Here the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad and Pencil:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 28, 2023 3:15 PM in response to Jack_o

This support page may be helpful with pairing and use of the Pencil with your iPad:

Connect Apple Pencil with your iPad - Apple Support

If you continue to experience difficulties, here is one of the better troubleshooting guides:

https://appletoolbox.com/apple-pencil-not-working-heres-our-troubleshooting-guide/

If you are unable to resolve the issue, a visit to the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) is recommended. Here the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad and Pencil:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Apple pencil (1st gen.) not recognized for ipad Pro 12.9 (2nd gen.)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.