You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomePods 2nd gen keep cutting out intermittently

This is going to be a bit of a longish post…

So I have two HomePods 2nd gens in a stereo pair connected to the ATV 4K 3rd gen and the ATV 4K connected to my Samsung TV to the eARC HDMI port.

When I play audio through any Apple device on the HomePods it’s flawless. Same for the PS5 and the Nintendo Switch. Problem is when I play anything from either the TV directly or from any of the other streaming boxes like the Nvidia Shield etc the audio keeps cutting out intermittently every couple of seconds.

I’ve spoken to Apple Support multiple times and the solutions range from “stream only from the Apple TV” to “a software update will be released that will fix it” to believe it or not “it’s a problem with the TV, the nvidia shield and all the other streaming boxes”

Any help would be appreciated. I have tried everything from resetting the HomePods to only having one HomePod play to check if it was a problem with them up in stereo.

Posted on Apr 29, 2023 12:16 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Apr 29, 2023 10:33 AM in response to Shanekad25

Have you looked at the audio formats being pushed by the TV and the failing devices? For example, can the Nvidia successfully play simple stereo music (as opposed to a movie with a beefy Atmos soundtrack)?

Have you tried swapping the HDMI ports of say, your PS5 and the Nvidia Shield? If so, does the problem stick with the device or the HDMI port? Are all the HDMI cables involved up to spec? You might try swaping cables and see if the problem follows a cable or sticks with the device or HDMI port.

Logically, I do suspect the TV due to audio settings or HDMI port variations on version/capabilities. Is there an audio "pass-through" option for example? Does your TV's documentation discuss differences of the various HDMI ports? Sometimes advanced HDMI functions are well hidden within the maze of TV settings.

Jan 25, 2024 2:26 AM in response to Shanekad25

Do you have your streaming devices, TV and nvidea shield connected over Wi-Fi or wired?

Since paired setup Homepod audio streaming requires certain bandwidth of your local wireless network, it’s possible to happen performance issue on your Wi-Fi connection if your streaming devices are over wireless connection.

It would be worth to test your streaming devices wired for more wireless bandwidth dedicated for paired Homepod audio streaming over AppleTV via eARC/ARC port on your TV.

HomePods 2nd gen keep cutting out intermittently

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.