You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I lost my apple tv remote and I have an extra remote...but it will not pair to the new apple tv. Tried everything above. Assuming it is still paired (dont know where the old apple tv is) and will not unpair. Any way around this?

I lost my apple tv remote and I have an extra remote...but it will not pair to the new apple tv. Tried everything above. Assuming it is still paired (dont know where the old apple tv is) and will not unpair. Any way around this?

Posted on Apr 29, 2023 5:32 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 4, 2023 9:06 AM

Ok. Thanks for that information.

Apple TV (4th generation or later) can pair with any of the models Siri Remote. One Siri Remote can be paired at a time. There is no unpairing-only, and it isn’t needed. Paring or re-pairing a remote will overwrite what was paired for remote before.

There are a few caveats for compatibility of the various remote models and system software version, but all the older Siri remotes should pair easily with the newer Apple TV boxes. The reverse might need some checks. Apple TV remotes and their compatibility - Apple Support

Verify that the remote has enough battery charge. Charge for 30 minutes or more, if you do not know when it was last charged.

Do the procedure with the Menu button and Volume Up button pressed simultaneously for a few seconds, until you see the on-screen message.

If you still need help after that, then please contact Apple Support.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 4, 2023 9:06 AM in response to DMGBigPappa

Ok. Thanks for that information.

Apple TV (4th generation or later) can pair with any of the models Siri Remote. One Siri Remote can be paired at a time. There is no unpairing-only, and it isn’t needed. Paring or re-pairing a remote will overwrite what was paired for remote before.

There are a few caveats for compatibility of the various remote models and system software version, but all the older Siri remotes should pair easily with the newer Apple TV boxes. The reverse might need some checks. Apple TV remotes and their compatibility - Apple Support

Verify that the remote has enough battery charge. Charge for 30 minutes or more, if you do not know when it was last charged.

Do the procedure with the Menu button and Volume Up button pressed simultaneously for a few seconds, until you see the on-screen message.

If you still need help after that, then please contact Apple Support.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.