You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best Way to Transfer from 2011 iMac to new iMac M1

My old iMac is mid-2011 running High Sierra. Time Machine has been spotty in backing-up for a long time, so there's probably stuff on my mac that's not in TM. How should I go about transferring to a new 2022 iMac with Apple M1 chip? Also, will saved log-ins on websites transfer to the new imac? I don't have them saved in any app or wallet. It's likely obvious by now that I'm not very computer savvy. :o) Thank you.

Posted on May 3, 2023 3:04 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 3, 2023 3:51 PM

During the initial set the new Mac will ask if you want to migrate from another Mac.

From there you have the option to migrate directly from the old Mac or from your Time Machine backup.

Keep in mind that migrating over your local network is going to be really slow and could take anywhere from an hour to 3, 4 or even longer depending on the amount of data to transfer.

Ideally it is faster and much easier to migrate from a Time Machine backup drive that is connected directly to the new Mac. So on that note:: it might be best to make a good backup of your old Mac even if it means getting and a new external drive. The plus to getting a new external drive, is that you can use it to backup your new Mac after migrating from the old.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 3, 2023 3:51 PM in response to jlaec

During the initial set the new Mac will ask if you want to migrate from another Mac.

From there you have the option to migrate directly from the old Mac or from your Time Machine backup.

Keep in mind that migrating over your local network is going to be really slow and could take anywhere from an hour to 3, 4 or even longer depending on the amount of data to transfer.

Ideally it is faster and much easier to migrate from a Time Machine backup drive that is connected directly to the new Mac. So on that note:: it might be best to make a good backup of your old Mac even if it means getting and a new external drive. The plus to getting a new external drive, is that you can use it to backup your new Mac after migrating from the old.

Best Way to Transfer from 2011 iMac to new iMac M1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.