You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I download the macOS big sur installer?

Hello!

I've got a mid-2012 MacBook pro with OS X Mojave which runs perfectly fine (a little bit of beachballing on microsoft edge but that's alright) and I wanted to update it to Big Sur, but there's a problem, i've got all the neccesary requirement on my Mac, but when i access the Mac App Store and I press 'get' button, it redirects me to the software update option in settings and it tells me that there is no such version as macOS Big Sur.

Terminal method doesn't work, it just gives me the help command because it 'doesn't recognize the command'

Is there any solution?

(If you are going to mention that my mac is unsupported, according to chatGPT, it says it's supported, if that's a mistake, please let me know)

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 3, 2023 3:23 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 4, 2023 9:26 AM

I understand. Unfortunately the only way to obtain any macOS installer is to use a Mac capable of running that macOS version.

On your Mac, you will encounter the following roadblock:

That's the reason for my opening "disclaimer". Find a Mac capable of running Big Sur, with which you can download the app and subsequently do whatever you want with it.

11 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 4, 2023 9:26 AM in response to oli201

I understand. Unfortunately the only way to obtain any macOS installer is to use a Mac capable of running that macOS version.

On your Mac, you will encounter the following roadblock:

That's the reason for my opening "disclaimer". Find a Mac capable of running Big Sur, with which you can download the app and subsequently do whatever you want with it.

May 4, 2023 9:14 AM in response to John Galt

Hi John! Thanks for the reply, but the link that you provided in your reply takes me to the same place I went earlier (to the app store) and the App store method doesn't work for me, since i just want the installer application.

It would be really nice of you if you would try to help me find an .app or .dmg file for the Big Sur installer.

How do I download the macOS big sur installer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.