You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I just bought a new MacBook Pro. I want to migrate my current environment on my old MacBook Pro to my new MacBook Pro.

What connector do I need for both the old and new MacBook pros?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.7

Posted on May 3, 2023 4:07 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 3, 2023 4:21 PM

Depends on your old one. I think newer ones can do it with USB-C. However, I think most these days use a Time Machine backup, where one can restore the environment and data on the new machine using Setup Assistant. You have a single chance to use it after a factory install of the operating system, although you can always reset to factory settings.

Set up your MacBook Pro - Apple Support

Transfer your data to your new MacBook Pro - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 3, 2023 4:21 PM in response to DanMooney

Depends on your old one. I think newer ones can do it with USB-C. However, I think most these days use a Time Machine backup, where one can restore the environment and data on the new machine using Setup Assistant. You have a single chance to use it after a factory install of the operating system, although you can always reset to factory settings.

Set up your MacBook Pro - Apple Support

Transfer your data to your new MacBook Pro - Apple Support

May 3, 2023 4:24 PM in response to DanMooney

DanMooney wrote:
What connector do I need for both the old and new MacBook pros?

Perhaps none...I have successfully used Wi-Fi for two migrations. Please refer to Transfer to a new Mac with Migration Assistant which explains "The steps in this article describe how to transfer content from one Mac to another Mac over Wi-Fi. It's also possible to transfer content from a Time Machine backup, or from a Windows PC, or from an iPhone."

I just bought a new MacBook Pro. I want to migrate my current environment on my old MacBook Pro to my new MacBook Pro.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.