You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to upload to iPhoto

Hi, I have been loading photos into my iPhoto account on my MacBook. There are a significant number of photos that are unable to upload (as shown in the 'Unable to Upload' folder). I have tried the approach that others have suggested on these forums (i.e. export the photos that are unable to upload, delete them from my iPhotos account and re-import them), however that has not been successful. The photos are .jpg's and .mov's files so there is should be no format issue. Other photos taken at the same time, with the same camera, have uploaded fine so I am looking for suggestions on how to proceed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on May 4, 2023 12:43 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 4, 2023 1:29 AM

QuickTime videos ( with the extension .MOV) could very well be the problem.

.MOV is indicating a container format, and the video component inside could be in a format, that is no longer supported, or Photos may be unable to find the video components because it is missing or the file system is causing problems with the pathname to the file.

Are the .MOV files from the time, when you have been using iPhoto? Where is your Photos Library stored? Is it on an external drive or in your Pictures folder?

You wrote, you have tried to export and to reimport the "unable to upload" files. Try it again for one of the .MOV videos. Export with "File > Export > Export unmodified original". Does the exported video play in QuickTime Player? Try to import the video into a new, empty Photos Library created for testing. Does the imported video play in Photos?

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 4, 2023 1:29 AM in response to Rowrowrowyourboat

QuickTime videos ( with the extension .MOV) could very well be the problem.

.MOV is indicating a container format, and the video component inside could be in a format, that is no longer supported, or Photos may be unable to find the video components because it is missing or the file system is causing problems with the pathname to the file.

Are the .MOV files from the time, when you have been using iPhoto? Where is your Photos Library stored? Is it on an external drive or in your Pictures folder?

You wrote, you have tried to export and to reimport the "unable to upload" files. Try it again for one of the .MOV videos. Export with "File > Export > Export unmodified original". Does the exported video play in QuickTime Player? Try to import the video into a new, empty Photos Library created for testing. Does the imported video play in Photos?

Unable to upload to iPhoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.