You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Back up iPhone to an external hard drive

How to back up iPhone to an external hard drive in macOS Ventura 13.3.1 (a)

iPhone 11

Posted on May 5, 2023 9:26 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 5, 2023 1:18 PM

I'm looking to save storage space that's why I want to Back up my iPhone to an external hard drive. I want to back up my iPhone to an external hard drive not to my Mac hard drive and then copy it over.

Thanks for trying to help.

9 replies

Feb 13, 2024 2:46 AM in response to eamonn81

You can create a Symbolic Link:

ln -s <path to the file/folder to be linked> <the path of the link to be created>

Do this on your own risk!

• Remove default Backup folder:
rm -rf ~/Library/Application\ Support/MobileSync/Backup
  • Let's assume that, you mounted an External Hard Drive to /Volumes/Files then
mkdir /Volumes/Files/Backup
ln -s  /Volumes/Files/Backup/ ~/Library/Application\ Support/MobileSync
  • Start iPhone backup as usual.
  • You can unlink after you have completed your backup
unlink ~/Library/Application\ Support/MobileSync/Backup

That's it!

May 5, 2023 4:12 PM in response to eamonn81

I understand what you want to do. The only way you are going to accomplish it is to install macOS on that external hard disk drive, boot from it, and then use it as you would normally use any Mac, including using it to back up your iPhone. The only difference is that your Mac will be slow to start from that hard disk drive, and it may be slow during operation as well.

But it will accomplish what you seek.

May 5, 2023 6:31 PM in response to eamonn81

If you want to be able to move your backup location to an external drive, it can be done but is tricky. I take it that you just want to be able to do it where all future backups will be stored on the external drive rather than on the boot drive. It can be disastrous if done incorrectly, but it can be done where Finder or iTunes uses a backup directory on an external drive.

I can’t provide the specific instructions here, but several sources have such instructions. It will require Terminal commands in Unix.

Back up iPhone to an external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.