You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Opened a brand new Macbook Air M1 that I had bought 2 years ago and the Battery won't charge.

I just opened a brand new Macbook Air M1 that I had bought 2 years ago and I cannot get the battery to charge. When unplugged, the computer shuts off. I believe this is covered under the unlimited 1 year warranty? Even if Apple sees that it has never had a full charge other than from the factory, will I be paying out of pocket for labor and a new battery? There isn't any Apple stores within a 2 hour radius and so I'll have to get it shipped through a Best Buy.

Posted on May 5, 2023 5:57 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 6, 2023 5:32 AM

The one year warranty starts at the date of purchase and not when the computer is first used. So, if you had it for two years and never used it, you are out of luck.

FWIW, if a battery is left for that long and has never been charged, it is likely dead and will need to be replaced and you will have to pay for it as the warranty has long since expired. Rechargeable batteries do not like being left to sit discharged for long periods of time, like two years. It did have some charge when leaving the factory but some circuits are always active and will have drained the battery long ago.

BTW, Best Buy is now an Authorized Apple Service Provider and should be able to replace something like a battery without shipping it out. Then again, that may also depend on your local Best Buy and they may not do it in store but send it out anyway to a repair center.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 6, 2023 5:32 AM in response to HisLostSheep

The one year warranty starts at the date of purchase and not when the computer is first used. So, if you had it for two years and never used it, you are out of luck.

FWIW, if a battery is left for that long and has never been charged, it is likely dead and will need to be replaced and you will have to pay for it as the warranty has long since expired. Rechargeable batteries do not like being left to sit discharged for long periods of time, like two years. It did have some charge when leaving the factory but some circuits are always active and will have drained the battery long ago.

BTW, Best Buy is now an Authorized Apple Service Provider and should be able to replace something like a battery without shipping it out. Then again, that may also depend on your local Best Buy and they may not do it in store but send it out anyway to a repair center.

Opened a brand new Macbook Air M1 that I had bought 2 years ago and the Battery won't charge.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.