You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

com.apple.security.octagon

What is this? I’m a noob

Posted on May 7, 2023 9:34 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2024 11:40 AM

Hello,

late reply but I did some digging….

Apparently per this Developer post the octagon security entries are littered in the source code for Darwin security frameworks.

https://forums.developer.apple.com/forums/thread/728772

it is a private framework available to developers, suggesting it’s created by a third party integration for keychain/password management.

I have a hunch based on a recent setting I changed for password and keychain storage selections (password managers) as set in:

System Settings -> Passwords -> Password Options.

In this options selection routine you can select to use the native OSX or iOS keychain for password/keychain management or third party apps like Microsoft Authenticator, Proton Pass, Nord Pass, etc,.

I assume this because the time stamp on the HMAC and corresponding Octagon Security State record are approximately around the time I changed that setting on my iPhone for a third party password manager app in the Password Options. I may be wrong re password manager but it is built in functionality.

It could have to do with MFA or OTP (one time use passwords) or something of the like.

It appears to be core functionality tho.

Thanks,

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 26, 2024 11:40 AM in response to Devosh9

Hello,

late reply but I did some digging….

Apparently per this Developer post the octagon security entries are littered in the source code for Darwin security frameworks.

https://forums.developer.apple.com/forums/thread/728772

it is a private framework available to developers, suggesting it’s created by a third party integration for keychain/password management.

I have a hunch based on a recent setting I changed for password and keychain storage selections (password managers) as set in:

System Settings -> Passwords -> Password Options.

In this options selection routine you can select to use the native OSX or iOS keychain for password/keychain management or third party apps like Microsoft Authenticator, Proton Pass, Nord Pass, etc,.

I assume this because the time stamp on the HMAC and corresponding Octagon Security State record are approximately around the time I changed that setting on my iPhone for a third party password manager app in the Password Options. I may be wrong re password manager but it is built in functionality.

It could have to do with MFA or OTP (one time use passwords) or something of the like.

It appears to be core functionality tho.

Thanks,

May 9, 2023 12:25 PM in response to Devosh9

that is a setting preference file for a service that Apple uses with Octagon. Whatever Octagon service or software you use will depend on it for its settings or temporary files.

All com.apple.x.plist files are preference files.

All com.apple.x.cache files are temporary files to make things run faster.

Do not use any system optimizers that delete them.

com.apple.security.octagon

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.