You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot open new pdf federal form without Acrobat Reader

I cannot open a new FEMA pdf form. When I click on the link https://www.fema.gov/sites/default/files/documents/fema_form-ff-206-fy-21-116_112022.pdf

I get a message that I have to have the latest version of Adobe Reader. I have never had Adobe Reader and I've always had good results using Preview. A few months ago I downloaded Reader DC and during the installation I clicked to use Adobe Reader as the default to open and view pdf files. I uninstalled Adobe Reader with "AppCleaner" and I am back to using Preview for pdf files.

My usual procedure is to fill in the FEMA form, then print>save as pdf>and then assign a title and destination for the completed form file. Easy.

Can anyone suggest a way to open this particular form without installing Acrobat Reader DC?

iMac 21.5″, OS X 10.11

Posted on May 8, 2023 9:51 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 8, 2023 10:36 AM

Apple's Preview cannot open every PDF, and in the case of this FEMA document, you will definitely need the current version of Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.

This particular PDF was created by Adobe LiveCycle Designer 6.4 on Windows and exported as a universally accessible PDF v1.7 (PDF UA) document.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 8, 2023 10:36 AM in response to Horse Feathers

Apple's Preview cannot open every PDF, and in the case of this FEMA document, you will definitely need the current version of Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.

This particular PDF was created by Adobe LiveCycle Designer 6.4 on Windows and exported as a universally accessible PDF v1.7 (PDF UA) document.

Cannot open new pdf federal form without Acrobat Reader

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.