You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

pdfs will only print as gobbledygook from MacBook Air

I bought my MacBook Air (M1) in 2020 and have always had problems printing pdfs. I have regularly updated the OS (now using Venture 13.3.1) but the problem never goes away! What happens is I get unlimited printed pages of gobbledygook and have to pull out the paper tray to stop it and then reset the print queue to cancel the job. My printer is a Samsung C48x series, driver version 3.0. If I restart everything – printer and Mac – I can sometimes get it to print one page, but never more. The printer works fine for printing other file types from my MacBook Air, and I can print pdfs from my iPhone and iPad, so it should be a very specific problem! I have recently deleted Adobe Acrobat from my computer and taken to using only Preview for pdfs, but I still have the same problem. Any thoughts?

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on May 9, 2023 3:09 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 13, 2023 5:30 AM

My printer is a Samsung C48x series, ...

Confirm that it is one of the models listed in About AirPrint - Apple Support. The fact that your iPhone and iPad can print PDF documents correctly indicates that your printer is AirPrint-compatible, and needs no drivers.

If so the solution is to remove the existing printer from Printers & Scanners and add it again as an AirPrint printer. Refer to Solve printing problems on Mac - Apple Support.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 13, 2023 5:30 AM in response to 2Macs_France

My printer is a Samsung C48x series, ...

Confirm that it is one of the models listed in About AirPrint - Apple Support. The fact that your iPhone and iPad can print PDF documents correctly indicates that your printer is AirPrint-compatible, and needs no drivers.

If so the solution is to remove the existing printer from Printers & Scanners and add it again as an AirPrint printer. Refer to Solve printing problems on Mac - Apple Support.

May 13, 2023 4:34 AM in response to ku4hx

Thank you.

What do you mean by 'compatible'? I have visited the Samsung site and installed their latest printer driver, and it works fine, but not for printing pdfs.

I feel the problem may be more related to a cache or preference somewhere which has got corrupted, but I don't know what I can delete with impunity, ie without causing another problem elsewhere! I have tried deleting the ones with 'printing/printer' in their names, but this has not improved things.

pdfs will only print as gobbledygook from MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.