You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screenshot not being saved to desktop

Hi everyone!

I've just realized that my Cmd + Shift + 3 is no longer saving screenshots on my desktop. Although the captured sound still plays when I press the combination, nothing happens afterward. Please send me some help T.T

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 13.2

Posted on May 9, 2023 7:20 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 6, 2024 5:47 PM

Press "Command + Shift + 5". Then look for the grey bar for screen recording and screenshot. Click options then uncheck "show floating thumbnail" (if Checked) Then at the top select "Desktop" under "Save to"

4 replies

May 9, 2023 7:36 AM in response to nguyên44

Perhaps the "Options" selection for saving a Screenshot has been inadvertently changed.

By default, screenshots save to your desktop with the name ”Screen Shot [date] at [time].png.”

In macOS Mojave or later, you can change the default location of saved screenshots from the Options menu in the Screenshot app. You can also drag the thumbnail to a folder or document.

Take pictures or screen recordings using Screenshot

1. On your Mac, press Shift-Command-5 (or use Launchpad) to open Screenshot and display the tools.

Please refer to these two Support Articles for further information.

1. Take a screenshot on your Mac
  2. Take screenshots or screen recordings on Mac

May 23, 2024 3:16 PM in response to writer33196

writer33196. I have been trying to find a solution for weeks and have not succeeded, even with help from Apple experts. I can finally open jpgs to appear on the screen which I thought was part of the problem but it isn't. Have you been able to find another location where they might be stored? I actually saw a couple of them in my Dropbox. How they got there I don't know! Did you ever find a solution?

Screenshot not being saved to desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.