You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to view the contents of iPhone backups?

I have located some iPhone backup folders on my Mac, some dating back to 2014. I want to see the pictures, videos and other data contained within them, but sadly the only resources I can find online are to purchase third-party applications to do this? Surely there must be a way to do this via Apple, without having to pay for third party applications? I am really confused and would appreciate any support here please.

Time Capsule

Posted on May 9, 2023 12:04 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 9, 2023 3:16 PM

MichaelGeorge162 wrote:

Just so I understand, the only way to view the contents is to backup my iPhone now, and then restore from a backup?

This just seems really out-of-character for Apple's focus on being simple and easy to use.

Yup, if you synced data to icloud then you can view it on a web browser.

7 replies

May 9, 2023 1:02 PM in response to MichaelGeorge162

MichaelGeorge162 wrote:

I have located some iPhone backup folders on my Mac, some dating back to 2014. I want to see the pictures, videos and other data contained within them, but sadly the only resources I can find online are to purchase third-party applications to do this? Surely there must be a way to do this via Apple, without having to pay for third party applications? I am really confused and would appreciate any support here please.

Backups can't be viewed.

How to view the contents of iPhone backups?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.