You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macos error

I removed my data using disk utilitys, i get the folder with a ? mark. I tried reinstalling a new copy of macos but unfortunately 3 times it has told me, “an error occurred while preparing the installation try running again” how to fix so i’m able to use my laptop again? Do i clear out the tab in disk utilitys which also say, “macos base system”?

MacBook (2017)

Posted on May 9, 2023 5:43 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 9, 2023 5:50 PM

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

You do need to show all disks in Disk Utility, and select the whole storage device for erasure and a new install.

Use Disk Utility to erase a Mac with Apple silicon - Apple Support

I’d use Command-Option-R to boot Recovery and get Ventura, too.

If that is not working, there may be an underlying hardware problem for whatever caused you to erase all.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 9, 2023 5:50 PM in response to feen4me

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

You do need to show all disks in Disk Utility, and select the whole storage device for erasure and a new install.

Use Disk Utility to erase a Mac with Apple silicon - Apple Support

I’d use Command-Option-R to boot Recovery and get Ventura, too.

If that is not working, there may be an underlying hardware problem for whatever caused you to erase all.

May 9, 2023 8:05 PM in response to feen4me

feen4me wrote:

I erased everything, will erasing the “mac os base system” help my situation? , i tried updating using the copy download and wouldn’t work gave me those errors.

That’s the installer.

In Disk Utility, select show all devices, select the whole storage device in the left navigation, erase and format the internal storage using GPT GUID partitioning and APFS, back out to the installer, and select the device that was just formatted.

For Intel, here is the erasure: Use Disk Utility to erase an Intel-based Mac - Apple Support

For Show All Devices, see: View all devices or only volumes in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

macos error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.