You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can’t update my phone iPhone 7. What should I do for that?

How can I update my iPhone 7?

iPhone 7, iOS 15

Posted on May 12, 2023 8:39 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 12, 2023 8:44 AM

iPhone 7

You can update your iPhone to iOS 15.7.5 -> iPhone models compatible with iOS 15.5 – Apple Support (UK)

You need about 6 GB device storage and good Service and/or Wi-Fi.

If they are On, turn Off Hotspot & VPN.

Charge the battery > 70%.

Go to Settings -> General -> Software Update -> Download and Install.

See the following Apple articles:

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support (IN)

If your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch won’t update

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't update - Apple Support

You can do the update via PC, see this Apple article: Update software on iPhone, iPad or iPod touch in iTunes on PC

Update software on iPhone, iPad or iPod touch in iTunes on PC – Apple Support (UK)

If you have a Mac see this Apple article: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with the Finder

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with the Finder - Apple Support

-----

iPhone 7

Perhaps you need to check -> troubleshooting iPhone 7:

Please check -> iPhone 7 Repair Program for "No Service" Issues

iPhone 7 Repair Program for "No Service" Issues - Apple Support

If it doesn't help, remove and reinsert the SIM card.

If it doesn't help visit your carrier, maybe the SIM card is damaged, ask for a replaced (new) card. Normally it is free.

Ask also to check if the SIM tray is bent, as even a tiny misalignment can cause the SIM card to not fully connect with the internal contacts in your iPhone.

See these Apple articles below:

If you see No Service, Searching, or SOS on your iPhone or iPad

If you see No Service, Searching, or SOS on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Manually update your carrier settings on your iPhone or iPad

Manually update your carrier settings on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Update your network provider settings manually on your iPhone or iPad

Update your network provider settings manually on your iPhone or iPad – Apple Support (UK)

If you see a Cellular, Ultra Wideband, or Apple Pay Issue message after an iOS update or restart

If you see a Cellular, Ultra Wideband, or Apple Pay Issue message after an iOS update or restart - Apple Support

iPhone 7 is > 6 years old, which also affects the battery life. The hardware remains old, so does the battery.

If it is still possible, have the battery replaced.

The battery can be replaced by Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider.

See this Apple article: iPhone Battery Repair & Replacement - Apple Support

If you are going to replace the battery, see -> Get your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch ready for service

Get your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch ready for service - Apple Support

The price is approx $ 69.

If you want to know exactly, call Apple directly, see Contact Apple for support and service -> Contact Apple for support and service – Apple Support (UK) 

or 

call 1-800-MY-APPLE

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 12, 2023 8:44 AM in response to DaveHosini

iPhone 7

You can update your iPhone to iOS 15.7.5 -> iPhone models compatible with iOS 15.5 – Apple Support (UK)

You need about 6 GB device storage and good Service and/or Wi-Fi.

If they are On, turn Off Hotspot & VPN.

Charge the battery > 70%.

Go to Settings -> General -> Software Update -> Download and Install.

See the following Apple articles:

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support (IN)

If your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch won’t update

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't update - Apple Support

You can do the update via PC, see this Apple article: Update software on iPhone, iPad or iPod touch in iTunes on PC

Update software on iPhone, iPad or iPod touch in iTunes on PC – Apple Support (UK)

If you have a Mac see this Apple article: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with the Finder

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with the Finder - Apple Support

-----

iPhone 7

Perhaps you need to check -> troubleshooting iPhone 7:

Please check -> iPhone 7 Repair Program for "No Service" Issues

iPhone 7 Repair Program for "No Service" Issues - Apple Support

If it doesn't help, remove and reinsert the SIM card.

If it doesn't help visit your carrier, maybe the SIM card is damaged, ask for a replaced (new) card. Normally it is free.

Ask also to check if the SIM tray is bent, as even a tiny misalignment can cause the SIM card to not fully connect with the internal contacts in your iPhone.

See these Apple articles below:

If you see No Service, Searching, or SOS on your iPhone or iPad

If you see No Service, Searching, or SOS on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Manually update your carrier settings on your iPhone or iPad

Manually update your carrier settings on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Update your network provider settings manually on your iPhone or iPad

Update your network provider settings manually on your iPhone or iPad – Apple Support (UK)

If you see a Cellular, Ultra Wideband, or Apple Pay Issue message after an iOS update or restart

If you see a Cellular, Ultra Wideband, or Apple Pay Issue message after an iOS update or restart - Apple Support

iPhone 7 is > 6 years old, which also affects the battery life. The hardware remains old, so does the battery.

If it is still possible, have the battery replaced.

The battery can be replaced by Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider.

See this Apple article: iPhone Battery Repair & Replacement - Apple Support

If you are going to replace the battery, see -> Get your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch ready for service

Get your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch ready for service - Apple Support

The price is approx $ 69.

If you want to know exactly, call Apple directly, see Contact Apple for support and service -> Contact Apple for support and service – Apple Support (UK) 

or 

call 1-800-MY-APPLE

May 12, 2023 8:47 AM in response to DaveHosini

Hello,

There are different ways to ensure the highest iOS that your device will support is installed on your device.

This support article has instructions about updating an iPhone or iPad wirelessly --> Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support Read the article for recommended criteria for being able to use wireless updating.

You can also use Mac and PC computers to update system software --> Update iOS on iPhone - Apple Support

When updating, your device will update to the highest version currently available that it will support, or it will just say it is up to date (and can't go any higher) and won't install anything. If you want to run a higher system version than your current device is capable of running, you need to buy a newer device.

An iPhone 6S through 7, or SE(gen. 1), will currently update to iOS 15.7.5

If your device won't update, make sure you are following all the conditions for the method you are trying to use:

Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support - wirelessly*

Update iOS on iPhone - Apple Support - with a computer

If your Apple mobile device won't update, read this support article for a list of possible reasons --> If your iPhone or iPad won't update - Apple Support

Another, less common reason for not being able to update is if you were using a beta version of software. Refer to How to uninstall iOS or iPadOS beta software - Apple Support

If you need more space for an iOS update read this support article --> If you need more space for an update on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

* From ASC contributor Lawrence Finch at How can I upgrade my iPhone 6s iOS13 to i… - Apple Community here's a checklist of criteria that all need to be met in order to update wirelessly:

• You need at least 10 GB of free storage for iOS 16 or 6 GB for iOS 15 or lower; more is better

• You must be connected to a Wi-Fi network (and not a personal hotspot)

• The phone must be charged to at least 50%, and preferably plugged in so it stays above 50% during the update

• The phone must not be in Low Power Mode

• The phone must not be connected through VPN, and it may be necessary to delete any VPN apps and VPN profiles

• The phone cannot be in Airplane mode and must have a cellular data connection

• You cannot still have a beta version installed on the phone

• You cannot have a previous version that was downloaded, but not installed - go to Settings/General/iPhone Storage to look; if you find an iOS installer, delete it.

I can’t update my phone iPhone 7. What should I do for that?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.