You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to use bootable usb to install macOS

I’m on a MacBook Pro 2018. I was on Big Sur and unable to upgrade from system preferences. I used MDS to create a Ventura bootable usb. I then erased the Mac and tried to install from the usb. I shutdown and when I turned it back on I held down the option key. When the volume screen came up I released option. However it did not show my usb drive as a volume to choose. It only had my mac hd.

I had this same issue with my newer MacBook and thought I could fix it the same way. But it won’t bring up the usb as a volume to boot from so now I’m at a loss. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on May 13, 2023 10:36 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 14, 2023 4:06 AM

Mac models with the Apple T2 Security Chip - Apple Support (CA)

Does this or the Newer Computer appear on the list of computers listed to have the Secure Enclave Chip ?

Refer to above Link

If Yes, refer to the link below on changing the Security Boot Utility that may allow booting from External Bootable Drives

About Startup Security Utility on a Mac with the Apple T2 Security Chip - Apple Support

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 14, 2023 4:06 AM in response to Pearljamluvr

Mac models with the Apple T2 Security Chip - Apple Support (CA)

Does this or the Newer Computer appear on the list of computers listed to have the Secure Enclave Chip ?

Refer to above Link

If Yes, refer to the link below on changing the Security Boot Utility that may allow booting from External Bootable Drives

About Startup Security Utility on a Mac with the Apple T2 Security Chip - Apple Support

May 14, 2023 12:01 PM in response to Pearljamluvr

I'd re-try Internet Recovery Option-Command-R after rebooting the router and connecting the Mac to it directly via a short ethernet cable while keeping other network activity in the household to the minimum.

Resetting SMC and PRAM might also help before trying.

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Or prepare a USB flash installer in another Intel Mac and on another USB drive and then connect it directly to the offending Mac. (...I always do a test-boot with such installer before nuking the internal boot disk and I also have a few pre-tested bootable external disks available...).

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Or maybe: Revive or restore an Intel-based Mac using Apple Configurator

Revive or restore an Intel-based Mac using Apple Configurator – Apple Support (UK)

May 14, 2023 11:25 AM in response to Matti Haveri

I’m not able to do this as it’s been erased and won’t do anything now. 😫 I did an erase and was going to use the usb boot to reinstall. But whenever I try to start up and install from this drive the following happens with each way i try:

Press Option after startup

it brought up internet as the only volume to choose

Internet recovery is only option

I choose that

I see a Globe

it says: Starting internet recovery 

This may take a while

then a Globe with exclamation point in a triangle comes up with

Support.Apple.com/Mac/startup

-2103F

I tried Install in recovery

Command R

Globe

Starting internet recovery 

This may take a while

then I get

Globe with exclamation point in a triangle

-2103F

i tried Install in safe mode

Hold shift

i got

Folder with ? Blinking 

use Option-Command-R or 

Globe with exclamation point in a triangle

-2103FOr

.Option-Command-P-R:

Folder with ? Blinking 

option D Start up to the Apple diagnostics utility over the internet.

that actually brought up a new screen where I chose English

Then it runs a test and says:

No problem

At this point no matter how I try to start up and install it won’t work. I may need to take it in but I’m trying to avoid that. Any other suggestions? I did a Time Machine back up but I can’t even get to the screen that gives me Time Machine, MacOS,or disk Utility.

May 14, 2023 12:08 PM in response to Pearljamluvr

I then erased the Mac and tried to install from the usb. I shutdown and when I turned it back on I held down the option key. When the volume screen came up I released option. However it did not show my usb drive as a volume to choose. It only had my mac hd.

Did you enable External drive boot in the Startup Security before erasing your drive? P. Phillips linked to the instructions. You won't be able to boot from a USB stick until you change those settings.

You may still be able to change that if you can manage to start up in Recovery. Try taking it to a different network.

Or, try restarting your router and modem to get it through to Apple's servers.

Unable to use bootable usb to install macOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.