You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is possible to disable Apple Music auto-loading?

my device (MacBook Air) constantly auto loads Apple Music mostly while in the middle of something important, but not sure why, I have never signed into it and have no intension of doing so, not a big Apple fan but need to use the device as is, I would love to disable the pesky program. any ideas?

[Re-titled by Moderator]

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.3

Posted on May 15, 2023 3:06 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2023 11:50 AM

Music is not listed in Login Items, so there is nothing to remove. Yet Music continues to open automatically when not desired.

8 replies

Mar 6, 2024 12:38 PM in response to Xanderbbb

While Apple thinks the Music App is amazing it has a lot of issues being intrusive. For me the app launches and plays media when not expected.

The only way I have found to stop the errant behavior of the Music app is to use the following utility, noTunes.

https://github.com/tombonez/noTunes

Yes, the problem is big enough that someone created a utility to stop it.

Dec 4, 2023 8:56 AM in response to jjjefff

Please install a video player for mac such as: Infuse, Kodi, VLC media player, Total Video Player, QuickTime Player, Total Video Player, MKPlayer, Elmedia Video Player,...

It will replace Apple Music and will not launch any apps when you connect bluetooth headset

I use Infuse, I feel very satisfied, Apple Music not start automatically whenever macOS detects a bluetooth headset is connected and I using Infuse to watch OTT IPTV television

May 17, 2023 9:00 AM in response to Xanderbbb

Hey Xanderbbb,

We'll be happy to help you perform the steps to prevent the Music app from loading automatically. Follow the steps quoted below from this resource Open items automatically when you log in on Mac - Apple Support. Once you do this for the Music app, it should stop automatically loading.

"Add or remove automatic items

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Settings, click General  in the sidebar, then click Login Items on the right. (You may need to scroll down.)
  2. Do any of the following:
    • Add a login item: Click the Add button  below the list of items, select a document, folder, app, server, or other item, then click Add.
    • Remove a login item: Select the name of the item you want to prevent from opening automatically, then click the Remove button  below the list.
    • Allow apps to run in the background: Allow apps to perform tasks when the app isn’t open, such as checking for software updates or syncing data."

Take care!

May 2, 2024 8:30 PM in response to Xanderbbb

Got the same issue on my Mac Air M1: Apple Music launches out of nowhere. This happens intermittently like once every few days. I'm not sure what is the trigger. Apple Music is not even listed in the Settings>Login-items list either.

Apple please fix this!!

I want to avoid downloading external utilities or add-ons, but might need to if this keeps happening

Is possible to disable Apple Music auto-loading?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.