You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using USB A Male to USB C Female adapter for charging iPad Pro

Hello,

I have an Apple iPad Pro 11 inch 2020 which supports a maximum charging of 18W. I bought these USB A Male to USB C Female adapters so that I could use my USB C cables with my power banks which only have USB A outputs. They support up to 18W for reference. Without using these adapters, my iPad was charging at 5W using a USB A to USB C and I expected it to do the same using these, however this was not the case. I found that suddenly it is now charging at 15W with these adapters. I would like to see this a good thing but I have some doubts.

I am wondering whether this is safe and does not damage the battery with the voltage or amps outputted. I thought that without PD, it will only charge at a standard 5W?

Any help is appreciated,

Finlay

iPad Pro

Posted on May 15, 2023 12:45 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 20, 2023 6:26 AM

I don’t think you are quite getting my initial query.

My iPad charges at 5W using a USB A to USB C cable and I know that for a fact because of its slow charging speed. I am trying to understand why connecting the iPad to a USB C to USB C cable which is plugged into a USB C Female to USB A Male adapter which is plugged into a USB A Female output is raising its charging speed to triple times the amount at 15W. What makes the adapter do that and is that safe [the output]?

I am not interested in the certification but rather whether the output amount (volts, amps, wattage) which the adapter enables is safe for the iPad.

Similar questions

15 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 20, 2023 6:26 AM in response to LotusPilot

I don’t think you are quite getting my initial query.

My iPad charges at 5W using a USB A to USB C cable and I know that for a fact because of its slow charging speed. I am trying to understand why connecting the iPad to a USB C to USB C cable which is plugged into a USB C Female to USB A Male adapter which is plugged into a USB A Female output is raising its charging speed to triple times the amount at 15W. What makes the adapter do that and is that safe [the output]?

I am not interested in the certification but rather whether the output amount (volts, amps, wattage) which the adapter enables is safe for the iPad.

May 15, 2023 2:48 PM in response to FinlayC14

First, understand that many Apple devices support USB PD (Power Delivery) Fast Charging - but do not support other proprietary charging standards such as QC (Quick Charge).

A Power Adapter or other USB power source that presents a USB Type-A output should provide a standard 5V USB output. When used with 5V charging sources, iPad will limit its maximum charging rate to ~12W (i.e., 2.4A @5V). When used with USB-C Power Adapters or PowerBanks that support USB PD, the iPad’s maximum charging rate is ~20W - the power profile being actively negotiated by the power source and connected device.

When charging your iPad, you should use a certified USB-C cable. The USB-C standard does not certify simple plug adapters - as these can introduce incorrect wiring that can seriously damage connected devices.

Consider that your iPad Pro is an expensive investment - and will be very costly to repair if damaged by incorrect connection. If damaged by an uncertified third-party cable, plug adapter or power source, your iPad warranty may not cover the cost of repair. As such, you would be well advised to only use OEM, or at the very least, properly certified power sources and cables. Cheap alternatives are false economy.

May 16, 2023 12:13 PM in response to LotusPilot

I understand that, however rather than about the usage of adapters and cables and the certification, I’m more interested in whether the iPad charging at 15W is safe for the battery because with just using a USB A to USB C cable, it is only 5W. How come when using this solution of a USB A Male to USB C Female adapter connected along with USB C to USB C cable into the iPad, it can charge at 15W? It isn’t using PD so I’m confused how it’s reaching that potential. I’m just wondering whether it’s ok charging at that wattage because I thought it’s either 5W without PD, and 18W with, but this isn’t using PD.

May 16, 2023 1:14 PM in response to FinlayC14

There's no specific restriction of 5W for USB-A to USB-C just because there's no USB-PD. I've got an older Mac with USB-A ports. I plug in a USB-C/USB-C cable with a USB-A male to USB-C female adapter with my iPad mini 6 and System Report says that it can provide 2100 mA (10.5W). I get the same if I just use a USB-A to USB-C cable.

There are a lot of USB-A power adapters that do output 15W at 5V through a single port. So having that available isn't terribly unusual.

May 16, 2023 1:23 PM in response to FinlayC14

FinlayC14 wrote:

I understand that, however rather than about the usage of adapters and cables and the certification, I’m more interested in whether the iPad charging at 15W is safe for the battery because with just using a USB A to USB C cable, it is only 5W. How come when using this solution of a USB A Male to USB C Female adapter connected along with USB C to USB C cable into the iPad, it can charge at 15W? It isn’t using PD so I’m confused how it’s reaching that potential. I’m just wondering whether it’s ok charging at that wattage because I thought it’s either 5W without PD, and 18W with, but this isn’t using PD.

It doesn't sound like it's a problem. USB-A has been capable of more than 5W for some time. I don't see why it couldn't push more into a USB-C device since it's really just 5V at 2+ amps.

May 16, 2023 1:33 PM in response to LotusPilot

LotusPilot wrote:
When charging your iPad, you should use a certified USB-C cable. The USB-C standard does not certify simple plug adapters - as these can introduce incorrect wiring that can seriously damage connected devices.

Not sure about that. It's really the wild west out there since it's not like the MFi certification process that Apple has. They have a list of licensees, but there's a lot out there that isn't on the list. My preferred USB-A to USB-C cable is one that was packaged with a (now dead) Amazon Fire HD 8. And one can use Apple's USB-C cables. There are a lot of companies selling USB-C cables that don't have USB certification including Belkin, Amazon, and Monoprice.

I'm trying to even figure out what USB-C cables I have that even are USB certified. About all I could find is that I've got a USB micro-B drive to USB-C cable fro UGREEN. I'm guessing a lot of cables might be certified, but they might be packaged as an accessory without any clear indication of who made it.

BTW - Apple doesn't have a currently certified USB-C cable. Not even any former certification. I mentioned UGREEN, which is listed as a company in the USB products database, but where I see no current products listed.

https://www.usb.org/products

May 16, 2023 2:58 PM in response to y_p_w

Hey guys,

I appreciate the discussion.

In relation to what you said LotusPilot, using the adapter connected to a max 18W USB A output from my power bank, it seems to be charging at 15W, not 12W.

In relation to what you said y_p_w, my iPad doesn’t charge at the same wattage with and without using the adapter; without is 5W and with is 15W which is what is confusing me. Why is the adapter allowing it to charge at a much higher wattage? That’s what worried me in whether it is safe and the iPad is ok with whatever amps and voltage is being outputted - that’s essentially my concern.

Many thanks,

Fin

May 17, 2023 2:00 AM in response to FinlayC14

To recap, many USB testers and power meters have questionable calibration.

Returning to your original question - and my initial response, USB-C Certification does not extend to simple plug-adapters. Use these entirely at your own risk.

Cutting corners on USB connections is false economy. Any potential cost saving pales into insignificance when compared to the cost of repair of an expensive electronic device - such as your iPad. Damage to your iPad caused non-certified interconnects will not be covered by warranty; any warranty provided with the cable/plug-adapter, if any, will not cover consequential damage.

It’s your choice - and entirely your risk to take. Caveat Emptor (l.)

Others may advocate use of cheap/uncertified products of potentially dubious origin and specification. Perhaps they can afford the repair bill if all goes wrong - or perhaps they have a greater risk appetite. Believe me when I say that those that play with fire will eventually be burned by it - and when they do encounter the consequences, their attitude to risk invariably changes 🙂

May 20, 2023 7:11 AM in response to FinlayC14

Have you looked at the configuration of the contacts in your particular USB-A to USB-C cables and/or tried different ones? I have a variety of them, and they can be different. Some even have unbalanced layouts where one side has more contacts than the other, but I don’t question it too much when it works. Some have contacts around the center. And some have the full 24 contacts.

This mentions this company making a power only USB-C connector that only supports 5V at 1 A.

https://www.cuidevices.com/blog/an-introduction-to-power-only-usb-type-c-connectors

Using USB A Male to USB C Female adapter for charging iPad Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.