You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to erase data from an unresponsive iPhone

My daughter's phone recently died - verified motherboard failure due to an unfortunate crushing injury. New phone ordered but can't turn in old phone for a small chunk of change until the Find My iPhone feature is disabled. No biggie except AT&T guy can't help me. So I come on here and see I go to her iCloud and begin the process, but the phone is obviously offline and I cannot get Find My turned off. So another recommendation is to erase all data but the phone will not be able to erase until it is back online. How is this possible if it is completely unusable? Will it really magically come back to life? They told me it was irreparable. Other forums state to not just remove the device because then someone can still access her info.

I've changed her Apple ID password, what if anything else is there to do? Should I just delete it and hope for the best?

Any help here is greatly appreciated!

[Re-Titled By Moderator]

iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on May 17, 2023 9:41 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2024 6:04 PM

What did you end up doing? I am in a similar situation but not selling passing phone on. trying to discard it 'securely' and correctly.

Worst-case scenarios are running thorough my head LOL If someone manages to turn it on (not even trying to get online which is when all data will be erased by my pending erase), what could they get their hands on?

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 9, 2024 6:04 PM in response to kstone_garcia

What did you end up doing? I am in a similar situation but not selling passing phone on. trying to discard it 'securely' and correctly.

Worst-case scenarios are running thorough my head LOL If someone manages to turn it on (not even trying to get online which is when all data will be erased by my pending erase), what could they get their hands on?

May 17, 2023 11:30 AM in response to SravanKrA

Thank you for the info but that is not the issue. The old phone had the find my phone enabled and in order to turn it in it must be disabled. In order to do this the phone must not be offline; which it currently is because it is unusable and there is no way to turn it on again as the motherboard has been destroyed. Therefore the next option is to just erase all data, which apparently cannot be done until the phone is powered on again. I was able to transfer all data as I back up frequently so no issues with new phone.

I need to know if it is save to just remove the device from my account without the concern for it to be accessed since I cannot erase it.

May 17, 2023 10:01 AM in response to kstone_garcia

If your iPhone is dead and Find My was not enabled then there is nothing that can be done now. If you have a backup then all your data can be restored on your new device. Else all your data is also lost. You need to start afresh with your new iPhone.

If you have either dropped the device accidentally or exposed it to liquid or used it beyond acceptable temperature limits then…

Take your device to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider, or contact Apple Support:

Find Locations - Location Selector - Apple

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support 

Get a Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Contact Genius Bar.

Manage Reservations - My Reservations - Apple

May 17, 2023 10:20 PM in response to kstone_garcia

I'm sorry to hear about the issue with your daughter's phone. If the phone is completely unusable and offline, it's unlikely that it will magically come back to life. In such cases, the best course of action is to take precautions to protect your daughter's data.

Changing the Apple ID password was a good step to secure her account. Additionally, you can follow these recommendations:

1. Contact Apple Support: Reach out to Apple Support directly and explain the situation. They may be able to provide further guidance or assistance in remotely erasing the device from their end.
  2. Remote wipe when the phone comes back online: Keep the device listed on Find My iPhone/iCloud. Once the new phone arrives and is set up, if the old phone ever comes back online, you can initiate a remote wipe to erase all data. This way, if the phone does become functional again in the future, it will automatically erase itself.
  3. Remove personal information: Before considering deleting the device from Find My iPhone/iCloud, make sure to remove any sensitive or personal information associated with the device. This could include contacts, photos, documents, messages, and any other personal data stored on the device.
  4. Securely dispose of the device: If the phone is irreparable, you may want to consider physically destroying it or recycling it through a reputable electronics recycling program to ensure that no one can access the data on the device.

It's always better to err on the side of caution when it comes to protecting personal information. If you have any further concerns, it's advisable to consult with Apple Support directly for specific guidance based on your situation.

How to erase data from an unresponsive iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.