You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting songs from iTunes

I have been auditing my iTunes library on my iMac. As I go through each artist, I delete the duplicate songs and also old songs from another era that I no longer want. I am almost half-way through my library of 10,600 songs, and I have deleted almost 2,000 songs. Today I noticed, under "recently added", that the songs are returning to my library! Why? What I do, is right-click the song, click "remove from Library", which brings another pop-up with "Keep File" or "Move to Trash". So I move to trash and then I go and empty my trash folder.

What a huge waste of so many hours! How do I permanently delete the song from my library, never to return? I realize if I purchased it through the iTunes store that it will sit in my account under "purchased" - but how do I get the songs to NOT repopulate my library.....especially all the duplicates. The "find duplicates" mode is useless for a number of reasons that I won't get into. Can someone help?

And, under "Recently Added", the entire album that the songs were deleted from displays......including the songs I wanted to keep! So once I resolve this issue, rather than "audit" my way one-by-one

through the "Recently Added" songs all over again, is there an easy way to display ONLY the songs I've deleted in the past 3 months and then RE-delete them in bulk?

Posted on May 18, 2023 6:02 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 18, 2023 2:24 PM

Since you are in the "iTunes for Mac" forum, see the 'Delete music on your Mac' section in:

Delete music in the Apple Music app - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply

Deleting songs from iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.