You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get video files stored in MacOS Photos app?

I'm trying to get the original video file that is organized and displayed by the MacOS Photos app (currently using v 8.0 on MacOS 13.3.1), this this bug has existed for a while. I poked around and wanted to follow up from where are the actually video files locate… - Apple Community but when I follow that method I always get the same bug.

When I try to just export the unmodified video (I assume this is just making a duplicate of the video file in the filesystem in a location that I select) is fails with error 1005. Also the error window finally reveals the "Reveal in Finder" option but clicking this button does not open a finder window with the location.

The only work around I've found is to us an iOS device (iPhone or iPad) with the same iCloud account to find the photo and airdrop it from the iOS device in Photos app for iOS to the MacOS filesystem. Extremely convoluted but it works at least.

MacBook Pro (M1, 2020)

Posted on May 18, 2023 9:43 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 19, 2023 4:37 AM

If Photos cannot export the unmodified original image file, Photos may not be able to access the original image.

Your Photos Library may be corrupted or in an unsupported location.

Where is your Photos Library stored? Is it in your Pictures folder or are you keeping it on an external volume?

If the Photos Library is on an external volume, has the external volume been prepared as described here? Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 19, 2023 4:37 AM in response to jbburf

If Photos cannot export the unmodified original image file, Photos may not be able to access the original image.

Your Photos Library may be corrupted or in an unsupported location.

Where is your Photos Library stored? Is it in your Pictures folder or are you keeping it on an external volume?

If the Photos Library is on an external volume, has the external volume been prepared as described here? Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

May 30, 2023 4:39 AM in response to jbburf

Good point, is there a way to rebuild / check if the local library is corrupted? Everything works correctly across iCloud so the files are all accessible (via Apple's cloud storage).

I never move Photos library to external locations due to issue years ago with this. This is currently happening on my MacBook Pro M1 (13", 2020 version). Same library is replicated across iOS (iPhone 14 Pro) and MacOS (MacBook Pro 16", Mac Pro 2013).

How do I get video files stored in MacOS Photos app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.