You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sony Playstation controller connects but won’t work in games and disconnects my Apple remote

I have been having major issues trying to connect and use my Sony Playstation controller, which also causes my Apple TV remote to disconnect. I didn’t have these problems when support was first offered to connect a game controller.

At present, when the remote is working. I can unpair and pair the controller successfully. I can move around the main Apple TV screen. When I open a game, the controller doesn’t work, and then the Apple TV disconnects, which is apparent by the message on the screen.

I unable to play a game, nor return to the main screen using the Sony controller. After multiple clicking of the menu button on the Apple Remote I can exit the game back to the main Apple TV screen, where miraculously my controller is working again alongside the remote.

Apple TV HD

Posted on May 18, 2023 5:31 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 19, 2023 7:52 PM

Hi booragal.

welcome the Apple (user-to-user) Community.

Re: "Sony Playstation controller connects but won’t work in games

and disconnects my Apple remote"

Am no expert in this area, yet your post surely deserves a reply.

Wondering if the Apple TV may need the Software updated to the latest compatible version:

How to Update your Apple TV

Apple support have other articles online that may or may not help:

Connect a PlayStation wireless game controller to your Apple device

Connect Bluetooth devices to Apple TV – Apple Support

How to: Use Bluetooth accessories with your Apple TV

If needed: How to reduce wireless interference:

Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference - Apple Support

Seems, bluetooth may only connect one device at a time, and may not be switching between multiple devices in some situations. You might want to check if "turn off / turn on" bluetooth helps.

All the best :-)

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 19, 2023 7:52 PM in response to booragal

Hi booragal.

welcome the Apple (user-to-user) Community.

Re: "Sony Playstation controller connects but won’t work in games

and disconnects my Apple remote"

Am no expert in this area, yet your post surely deserves a reply.

Wondering if the Apple TV may need the Software updated to the latest compatible version:

How to Update your Apple TV

Apple support have other articles online that may or may not help:

Connect a PlayStation wireless game controller to your Apple device

Connect Bluetooth devices to Apple TV – Apple Support

How to: Use Bluetooth accessories with your Apple TV

If needed: How to reduce wireless interference:

Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference - Apple Support

Seems, bluetooth may only connect one device at a time, and may not be switching between multiple devices in some situations. You might want to check if "turn off / turn on" bluetooth helps.

All the best :-)

Sony Playstation controller connects but won’t work in games and disconnects my Apple remote

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.