You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Air 5: Apple Pencil charger getting hot during gameplay

Hi everyone,

I recently noticed that while playing certain games on my iPad Air 5, the Apple Pencil charger on the side of the iPad gets noticeably hot. I'm concerned about this and would like to understand the reasons behind it. Has anyone else experienced a similar issue with their iPad Air 5 or any other iPad model? I'm wondering if it's a common occurrence or if there's something specific I should be aware of.

Any insights or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

iPad Air 5

Apple Pencil 2 generation

iOS version 16.4.1(a)

iPad Air, iPadOS 16

Posted on May 19, 2023 2:05 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 19, 2023 2:39 AM

It is not unusual for an iPad to become warm when being used - more so when using some types of iPad case. High screen brightness and/or CPU intensive Apps will also create more heat.

The key point is that whilst your iPad may become very warm in normal use, the iPad should not become uncomfortably hot to handle. If your iPad is becoming too hot to hold, or if you just have concerns, you should take your iPad along to the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store - where the technicians can examine and test your iPad for faults:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

For information, iPadOS 16.5 is current.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 19, 2023 2:39 AM in response to Andrian2023

It is not unusual for an iPad to become warm when being used - more so when using some types of iPad case. High screen brightness and/or CPU intensive Apps will also create more heat.

The key point is that whilst your iPad may become very warm in normal use, the iPad should not become uncomfortably hot to handle. If your iPad is becoming too hot to hold, or if you just have concerns, you should take your iPad along to the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store - where the technicians can examine and test your iPad for faults:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

For information, iPadOS 16.5 is current.

iPad Air 5: Apple Pencil charger getting hot during gameplay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.